The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side Curtains ....fixings
My 1932 AG tourer (SWB chassis with steel "chummy" body) has side curtains that slot into the alloy rail that runs along the top of the doors & rear tub. the pegs of the curtain drop into the holes and into a bracket let into the wood. This bracket is tapped 1/4 BSF  presumably to take a winged bolt (??) that is tightened against the peg to stop the curtain rattling or popping out.
Question is what do these retaining 1/BSF bolts look like & what do the holes in the trim panels look like? Is there an eyelet of some sort?
I have not seen anything (not even on a £38000 Chummy), maybe earlier bodies allowed the curtains to rattle!
I can post pictures of the bracket if necessary.
The quite useable trim on my car is 1960's vintage & has no holes/eyelet or whatever. How should it be fitted to the door frame etc? I am rebuilding the car to how it would have probably been in Hong Kong in the early 70's.
David
Most likely something like this, I think...

(05-09-2018, 10:45 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Most likely something like this, I think...

Thank you Ruairidh !
That screw looks similar to the ones that hold the various covers in the floor, or more likely the plated ones that hold the dash panel on. To stop the screw falling out when "loose" it may have had a plain shank of rolling (or similar) diameter under the head (Called a Scam shank if I recall correctly)
Oh dear I need 8 and those rather natty washers!
How is the trim panel held in? mine had a selection of countersunk cross head self tapping screws & cup washers....!
David
Wow, well done R.

Ive seen the brackets in the wood, but never seen those fittings before.

Tony.
My 1933 Tourer has the same arrangement. There is a rubber insert that fills the back of the cup washer, rather like a wiring grommet.

Regards,
Stuart
If I remember correctly, the 'screwdriver' slot is rather larger than one would expect, because it was designed to be used with an old penny, rather than a screwdriver!
Also the same fixing for Opal door side screens and probably later tourer's. Mine, although tightened, don't seem to have any nip on the pegs - the less than perfect alignment of the two pegs stops them rattling about. There was the remains of a rubber washer between the screw and cup washer, perhaps the original way of stopping loose screws falling out?

Dave
(06-09-2018, 08:55 AM)Speedex750 Wrote: Also the same fixing for Opal door side screens and probably later tourer's. Mine, although tightened, don't seem to have any nip on the pegs - the less than perfect alignment of the two pegs stops them rattling about. There was the remains of a rubber washer between the screw and cup washer, perhaps the original way of stopping loose screws falling out?

Dave
All helpful stuff! Thanks.
To me that sounds likely. A rubber washer pushed over the threads would "do a job" I was thinking about a "C" clip or similar, but a rubber ring sounds easier! There are a lot of cup washers around, not with that profile & some that are solid, but something will turn up. Point taken about the penny slot  1/10" (?) what is the head diameter of the screw?
I am still wondering how to fit the trim panel. Many of the pictures don't seem to show any form of external mechanical device!
David
I believe that the trim panels on your type of car would have been held in place by the aluminium strip at the top and then pinned around the exterior.

Be careful to use the correct thickness board when making these and not to 'stuff' them - otherwise is imply won't fit under the strip and the door won't close.
(06-09-2018, 08:55 AM)Speedex750 Wrote: Also the same fixing for Opal door side screens and probably later tourer's. Mine, although tightened, don't seem to have any nip on the pegs - the less than perfect alignment of the two pegs stops them rattling about. There was the remains of a rubber washer between the screw and cup washer, perhaps the original way of stopping loose screws falling out?

Dave

Have these on my 37 Opal but I would say the slot is not big enough to take a old penny — a halfpenny more like. But then the Opal was offered at a rock bottom price so perhaps this is appropriate.

Charles in rural Norfolk ( where a bush saves a penny)