The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
fuel tank repair
For every problem, there appears to be a solution
https://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php...cts_id=138

The sealant in my Austin tank has been there for 20 years now. The Fiat must be getting on for 25.

C
longevity is most important!
Lloyd Bryan in Tunbridge Wells has been mentioned to me elsewhere... I'll ring him.
(03-09-2018, 02:27 AM)Erich Wrote: In summary, synthetic tank sealers work, but only once. If there is an issue later on, the tank is junk.

Erich in Seattle

So, tank sealer can't be removed and the tank resealed again or a second coat of sealer applied even if it is the same brand?
I must confess that I am in the get it soldered by someone who can do that properly camp.

Slosh is in my view something that can come off and then to clean the tank becomes a big big problem, I did such a thing on my RP tank never again !

I had the end of the tank removed in order to get in to clean it properly. Once clean and the end refitted I vowed never to use slosh again, it proved to be a nightmare job.
I do however  have friends that swear by slosh but it is not good in my experience and once in it is difficult to remove.

When the car is left standing over winter, I always make sure the tank is full of petrol and put Millers "tank safe" in.

Since adopting this practice I have had no issues and no dirt in the carburettor on front tank sevens and I do not use an extra filter. 
Hope personal view is useful.
(03-09-2018, 09:59 AM)Austin Carr Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 02:27 AM)Erich Wrote: In summary, synthetic tank sealers work, but only once. If there is an issue later on, the tank is junk.

Erich in Seattle

So, tank sealer can't be removed and the tank resealed again or a second coat of sealer applied even if it is the same brand?

That would appear to be incorrect, if the number of tank sealant removers on the market work (see above) 

It may be another one of those much repeated homilies that persist in the old car world. 

Charles
Charles, have you used this product? If it does work, then I could save myself from having a new tank made. And Nick might not have had to remove the end of his tank.

Erich in Seattle
Haven't used it Erich but there are a number of manufacturers of similar products so I assume its not snake oil
Cheap enough to try

Charles

Erich in Seattle

I'll let you know. The bloke who bought the remains of a 1917  Thornycroft JType lorry off my father made his own new soldered fuel tank for it. And sloshed it for good measure. It has developed a leak and he is proposing to re-slosh it. So we shall see.
Keep me and all of us posted Hedd. My issue, is that I still believe terne plate or solder to be the most effective fix or original construction. Given that the original owner "fixed" the tank with Slosh, and it is now a sieve, it has lifted the paint everywhere in the cockpit and the engine bay, as well as giving me the willys.

Erich in Seattle
(03-09-2018, 09:51 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote:

Erich in Seattle

I'll let you know. The bloke who bought the remains of a 1917  Thornycroft JType lorry off my father made his own new soldered fuel tank for it. And sloshed it for good measure. It has developed a leak and he is proposing to re-slosh it. So we shall see.

I hope, that he gets technical advice from the manufacturer before he re-sloshes the tank, it could save the price of a can of sealer. It will be interesting to know if a second coat will bond to the first coat and if yes, does the first coat need chemical of physical preparation.

Thank you Charles P, it is useful to know that old sealer can be removed.