The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
(25-10-2018, 03:33 PM)9Stuart Giles Wrote:
(22-10-2018, 10:41 AM)Charles Levien Wrote: As mentioned in an earlier post I have a modern distributor ( Mini) with the advance and retard weights welded together — on electronic ignition. So any curve is independent of bob weights. The car goes very well with this set up with good torque at low revs ( Jack French road cam) and good performance up to 5000 rpm.
Mine is a road car and I should like to know if anyone else is running a car successfully with this set up.

Charles

Charles, I take it that one of the reasons you welded the bob weights is that the distributor is running "backwards" on your car. Without a fair bit of modification, I can't see how leaving them 'as is' would not result  in centrifugal retard instead of advance.

In the past I have used a mini style Lucas 25D on a 7 motor, but I had reversed the fan/dynamo casting on the crankcase  so that the distributor was now on the other side of the motor, I did this to get underbonnet clearance for a belt driven Roots supercharger; but it was also handy that the BMC Mini Lucas distributor now rotated in the correct direction. the much shortened dynamo casing on this setup was empty as this was a race motor.

Hi Stuart,

The 25d I have runs clockwise as viewed from above ie as per original. The system was fitted about 12 years ago, full title is Magnetronic Ignition—  Luminition system MTK 003
I’m on 12 volts and use a special coil with 1.5 ohm ballast resistor.
I stripped out the dynamo windings and use this solely to drive the distributor. Electrics supplied by a 2CV alternator bracketed to cylinder head driven by v belt off modified cam pulley.
Don’t ask me why it runs so well without advance and retard but it does!

Charles

Messages In This Thread
RE: electronic distributors - any further feedback? - by Charles Levien - 25-10-2018, 04:29 PM