The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
This is the second time that I have fitted electronic ignition to an 'old' car, this time my very normal 32 RP. In both cases the results have been good and consistent :

Idle much smoother
Pick up much quicker
Flexibility better

Around 200 miles so far. At idle the car is clearly firing on every beat and there is no longer the puttering of an occasional miss. As to pick up, the throttle is generally more responsive and the car feels 'snappier'. Flexibility is difficult to quantify but I seem to be changing gear later on familiar hills. Part of the improvement may be down to having a form of mechanical advance & retard when previously this was manual. I've kept the old leads. The unit demands a little more accuracy in setting and having found the 'sweet spot' I have bolted down the manual A&R so that I can't fiddle with it, otherwise it is quite sensitive to change.

As to the oiler, does it really need one? Assuming the unit's mechanicals to be of a generic '60s design (???) do you remember oiling a distributor shaft from that age? Anyway, if you want to there is nothing wrong with a screwdriver and an oil can.

In summary, a simple job that results in a noticeable improvement that helps with the general way the car works on the road. Happy & content am I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: electronic distributors - any further feedback? - by Michael - 08-09-2017, 11:09 AM