The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
Anyone taken the new dizzy apart to see how many auto advance degrees they have on the action plate as Lucas calls it? Just taken a DK 4 to bits which shows 3 degrees (not the same 3 Degrees liked by Charles Windsor). Why does the new one require an oiler although it looks authentic? Don't they use self lub bronze now?
Following my post in June about the failure of the Accuspark DK4 dizzy I had fitted, I am now able to bring the report up to date.
Briefly I bought the unit in May, fitted it to my '33 RP, covered 100 plus miles and it was working well, with definite improvements noticeable, quieter, smoother etc. On the day I set off on the Eurotour it failed about 5 miles from home, I refitted the clockwork version, drove home and contacted Accuspark to suggest I collect a replacement on my way to Dover by making a detour past their premises. Their reply was distinctly unhelpful, they were having a two hour lunch that day and would not make any concession such as leaving a replacement unit at a neighbouring unit.
On my return I sent the offending article back by post and waited two weeks before telephoning to ask for an update. Apparently they had moved premises since I bought the dizzy, but they had Post Office forwarding and so the unit would arrive at some point. By early September it had not and Accuspark were not being at all helpful when I asked them to contact the Post Office to enquire. I found the posting receipt and discovered that the tracking gave a delivery date of 8th August, still the employee I was in touch with refused to take the matter up and said it was for me to call the sorting office, I was rather disgruntled at the complete lack of help and interest.
Later that day I had a call from Jane Ibbotson, who is a Director of the company, who told me she had listened to the recording of the conversation and that she apologised for the attitude of her staff and would be having words on the subject. She confirmed that she had checked the tracking record and agreed that it was down to her company to pursue the matter with the PO. Would I like a refund or replacement, I chose a replacement.
A week later it had not arrived and so I called and spoke to the same employee, he faffed about for more than ten minutes, saying he would have to check this and that and finally the call was cut off. Now incandescent I called and this time chose the Accounts Department extension on the automatic phone system and got straight through to Mrs Ibbotson. She said that her employee had misunderstood the email she had sent him, instructing an FOC unit to be sent to me. She would now get the replacement dispatched and again have words. It arrived today as she promised.
There has been no apology for the monumental cock-ups, the continuing attitude of the staff nor real interest in what was the cause of the original failure, difficult I appreciate without the offending item, but my guess is it is in their unit, but mislaid.
I will give them that once I had the attention of a Director I eventually got a replacement, but I have spent in excess of five hours on the telephone in two months with enormous frustration thrown in. I have to condemn their customer care, attitude and attention to detail. The product when it works seems to give satisfaction and that is why I have persisted with the matter. I suggest that if you have reason to return a unit you take care to ensure you have their new address, a record of posting and that you definitely do not bother with the warehouse staff, go straight through to the Directors if possible.
The score from my point of view

DK4 Electronic Distributor (when working) 1  =  Accuspark 0
I think the reworking by R and others is  a great improvement on appearance
What a tortuous marathon Jack! Well done for sticking with it and glad to hear you have it sorted.
(29-08-2017, 09:40 PM)AustinWood Wrote: My car is a 1929 Fabric Saloon which I use extensively. It does go surprisingly well though I don't know quite why as the engine is almost standard.
I have manual advance/retard and the correct timing point is now very easy to establish. Retarding the ignition slightly the engine goes 'flat', advancing it and it goes harsh. This is now clearly defined whereas before the range was much wider. I put this down to reduced timing 'scatter'.

Could I ask how you have the unit set up for the previously manual operation? Have you removed the weights-related advance function in order to keep operations as per the manual unit, or do you run with both?
Just scratching my head...
(29-08-2017, 06:42 PM)JonE Wrote: Following the excellent thread on the old forum around the new and presently discounted Austin 7 distributor, are there any relatively new purchasers who can add evidence... to that already given?

Keep your DK4A if it’s in good shape, and fit a Powerspark unit (Bromsgrove) with a red rotor arm. Fit LEDs all round and stay on six volts.
I did 3600 miles through Europe with this system last year and my Opal ran faultlessly — (of course I have my fingers crossed behind my back).

Charles
I have been doing exhaustive inspection and testing of one of these new Accuspark units, full details of the build quality, or lack of it, and performance under measured conditions soon. I would be interested to hear how others have been getting on over a period of extended use too, actual measurements rather than just subjective, "it sounded and felt better" and against what have you measured the new unit please.
Black Art Enthusiast
(15-10-2018, 05:55 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: I have been doing exhaustive inspection and testing of one of these new Accuspark units, full details of the build quality, or lack of it, and performance under measured conditions soon. I would be interested to hear how others have been getting on over a period of extended use too, actual measurements rather than just subjective, "it sounded and felt better" and against what have you measured the new unit please.

Ian,

I would be interested in your report- our Spares manager seems to want to get some of these Accuspark things- I am not convinced.

Tony.
Tony,

I have no desire to get caught in the crossfire (again) between the supplier of these units and an ex customer but I can share my experiences of the units with ‘you’.

I was incredibly sceptical of the technology when it came to market but believe that to know something properly you must use it in the way it was intended and then make up your own mind, so I put one on my car. The DK4a it replaced was well maintained and gave good service, despite this the new unit gave instant and noticeable power gains, tickover was remarkably slow and the engine ran smoother.

Since then the unit has performed well.

There have been a couple of issues with the solid state trigger unit failing on some units but, if this does happen, it appears to do so very quickly and, in my experience over the time the new unit has been available, the failure has matched that of convential points, condensers and rotor arms available today. I have also discovered that the new units will fry themselves if the wires are not secured very tightly and if the coil offers less protection than 1.5 Ω. There was speculation that copper cored HT leads caused problems but I have not found this to be the case amongst those I have been closely involved with.

If I were your spares manager I would ask for a small sample to try out and then you can make your own mind up - like I did.
One further point that may be of use to those with an electronic unit - I have found that if the battery dips below 6v on starting the unit will not operate. If you battery is soft and exhibits such a drop, use the handle instead and all will be well.
Now, I'm not getting into the if, buts etc. of these electronic distributors but surely the ultimate must be with the lucky chrome rad Seven owners who have manual advance/retard levers on their steering columns. First remove and alter the advance/retard locking ring from the the old (static) dizzy and modify it to fit the new electronic thingy. Even I managed it so it is no way difficult. Retime as per normal and once running lock up the arm to dizzy at the halfway point on the lever. Go for a good run and find the ultimate timing point whilst driving, inside, dry comfy etc.
Oh so easy, only thing is to make a mark before forgetting where you thought you left it as most engines seem to start well retarded when cold.
All the best,
Peter.