The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ruby models
         Came across this on pininterest
Ian
More here:

http://www.jrhscalecars.com/AustinSeven.html
That is so impressive!

How long did he take to make it?

I reckon the model has more working parts than my full size car!

Simon
In 2016 I came across the Ruby model and made contact with John Haddock. He was very helpful in providing me with information and I wrote it up in the 750 Motor Club Bulletin. For interest, here is the text of the piece.

MINIATURE PERFECTION
1,200 hours of work in scale model Ruby

Back last summer, prompted by a reference on the Austin Seven Friends site, I came across the website of John Haddock, featuring some wonderful 1/8th scale models of cars – including a superbly detailed Mk1 Ruby. Having owned a Mk1 I was bowled over by the images on the website.

The model itself was impressive enough but the delight broadened when I found that the builder had published some really comprehensive notes detailing how the individual pieces of the Ruby, and other models, had been made. And when I say detailed I really do mean detailed. As one example, there is a fascinating ten-page illustrated description just on how the tyres were constructed – using 3D printing and silicone moulding.

I was so impressed with the level of perfection that had been achieved that I made contact with John Haddock to find out more about who he is and what led him to this pinnacle of scratch building expertise.

My initial email drew a friendly response and it transpires that John is a Brit who moved to America in the 1970s and now lives in Florida in the winter and Toronto in the summer. He holds a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Birmingham.

Model building began at a young age with Meccano and, as a teenager, John started putting together Airfix kits for his Hornby HO railway.

Then, as he puts it, ‘Girls, university, and a career got in the way’.

Around the time his first child was born John began the building of large, accurate models, starting with a 19th century schooner. To his dissatisfaction ‘It turned out that the rigging plans were incorrect. It was simply impossible to sail the vessel the way the rigging was drawn. That started (pre-internet) research into the correct way to rig a schooner of that era - which became a fascinating historical journey.’

Children and a career now took up most of his time but he managed to fit in the quick assembly of a Pocher Ferrari F40, although, again, he was not happy with the outcome. ‘Still, despite their flaws, the Pocher 1:8 scale kits were impressive although not for the faint of heart.’

Once the children had left home it was time to get back to the modelling.

‘I decided to start by rebuilding the F-40. But in doing so I wanted to fix the quality issues and add missing detail. In other words, do it right. As something of a car nut, I was familiar with the introduction of the Porsche 959 and the subsequent Ferrari response of the F-40, and so the research was another fascinating journey.’

One thing that had changed since his efforts with the schooner was the existence of the internet, which enabled John to do the necessary research and finding of parts and suppliers online.

After the F-40s, it was two Rolls-Royce Phantom IIs. Again the focus was on a high level of historical accuracy, although still using a Pocher kit as a platform. You can see the stunning results of the builds on John’s website.

And then came the Austin 7. John explains the motivation behind wanting to tackle it.  

‘The Austin Seven was different and intriguing for a number of reasons.

It was a counterpoint to the Rolls-Royce Phantom II; a vital part of the amazing liberation that pre and post-WWII cars brought to the general public.

My mother drove one before WWII. And my first car was a 1954 Ford Popular which was very reminiscent of the Seven; small side valve engine, top speed of 60 mph (supposedly, but mine would barely reach 55), iffy brakes, transverse leaf suspension (at the back, as opposed to at the front on the Seven), vacuum operated wipers, no heater. No one would think of driving a car like that today, but like many others, I drove that car all over England.

From a modelling point of view, the Seven would be a big challenge. Other than nuts and bolts, nothing was available in the way of parts for a 1:8 scale model so it would be a complete scratch-build. Still, 3D printing was fast becoming mainstream, CAD could be learned, and the Internet would provide a trove of research. So why not?’

The finished model is 16” long, 6.5” wide and 8” tall. It was started in April of 2014, completed in November 2015 and took about 1,200 hours of work, although that included drawing all the various 3D printed parts. But, as John says:  “I find my models seem to set their own pace. All I do is follow along behind doing the work!”

Would he consider making another Ruby?  “There's no doubt a second model would take considerably less time, if only because I won't have to learn CAD again, nor will I have to figure out how to make wire wheels with proper rubber tires!”

And does he begrudge the time? “Half the fun in building these models is pushing my own boundaries in one modeling direction or another. So I don't mind the hours. My own philosophy is that, in the end, the hours invested fade away and what remains is the quality of what you did. Then the pleasure of having got it 'right' trumps the pain of getting there!”

From the outset of his model building career John’s goal has been to build historically accurate, highly detailed replicas of the original vehicles and in this, I think we will all agree, he has succeeded admirably. You can see his work and read his articles by going to http://www.jrhscalecars.com

The one disappointment is that as the Ruby model resides on the other side of the Pond we are unlikely to be able to see it at first hand. What a splendid addition it would be to the special displays at the National Austin Seven Rally!