The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine won't rev
Dont worry about the 1 1/4 bit. The handbook says between 2 inch and 1 1/4 inch btdc. Just Lign the 1/4 timing mark on the flywheel up with the oil pressure take off. Set adavance lever to full advance. Set points to just open at that point. I set gap using my thumbnail. She'll start easy fully retarded and the sweet spot will be within the lever range
Apparently not relevant in this case but some manual adv cars been fitted also with an auto distr which fine if understood but can confuse, esp if it advances the wrong way!
Hibbo, Sorry I can't help anymore with your problem but let us know what the problem was when you fix it as like you it has me baffeld.

John Mason
(21-08-2018, 09:43 PM)hibbo Wrote:
(21-08-2018, 09:23 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Graham, setting the timing on a Seven is an ongoing thing if youve got a manual advance dizzy. Set it to 1 1/4" BTDC on the flywheel and then take the car out on the road and play about with the adv/retard on the move. If you back the timing off so theres no rumble whatsoever then you'll get nowhere. You've got to do it by feel not ear. Ideally you need an experienced sevener to help you out.

Thanks for the info, I will take your advice.

(21-08-2018, 09:11 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Ah, so now making a bit more sense. You aren't getting 30mph in second, it is actually 15 and showing a more expected percentage increase in speed per gear. But yes you should be able to get 40 plus (I get 45, but many get 50) especially given the compression etc and apparent engine condition you mentioned earlier.
I don't think you have mentioned the jet sizes you have?
It might be that you aren't actually far away and just need some final set up help with timing etc. checking coil integrity etc. Have you tried swapping out the coil?
Have you joined your local A7 club as a session with a seasoned owner might give you the tweaks needed to get that extra mph.
Plugs are NGK A6, Champion B16
Andy B
My local A7 club is not that local at 27mph I will swap the coil I have a 6v motorcycle coil, and check the jet sizes, should have done it today when a had the carb in bits again.
To be honest it did feel a little better tonight despite the popping/spitting  from the carb.

Hi again, I seem to have got it running a bit better today but haven't tried it on the road yet.

The jets I have are main .57 comp .50 and slow .60 I think they are right but the weaker end of the options.
Regards
Graham
Rule 1
If you think that it's a fuel problem, it's ignition

Rule 2
If you think it's ignition, it's fuel.
(22-08-2018, 07:40 PM)Charles P Wrote: Rule 1

Rule 2

True dat!
(22-08-2018, 07:45 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(22-08-2018, 07:40 PM)Charles P Wrote: Rule 1

Rule 2

True dat!

Hi again, a little progress I managed 33 mph an improvement of over 5 mph today again retimed and again checked the fuel flow, again in second gear the pulling out of the choke made a considerable improvement but not so much in 3rd and nothing discernible  in top, advancing or retarding the ignition on the column made no difference at all.

My jets are main .57 comp .50 and slow .60 are these what are normal or would it be worth changing for larger.

Is there any Austin 7 meets this weekend in southern England were I could at least hear one running as it should.
Regards
Graham
Did you get new plugs?
(25-08-2018, 07:34 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Did you get new plugs?

Haven't had a chance to get plugs yet.
Regards
Graham
Graham
I'm confused that you say there's no difference between advance and retarding the ignition. There should be. The column lever is connected to the distributor by a long metal bar that goes from the bottom of the steering column to the base plate below the distributor.
When you advance the ignition the distributor should move anticlockwise. If it isn't then perhaps the clamp that secures it to the distributor is loose and isn't doing its job. It is located by a pinchbolt. The adv/ ret plate under the distributor is located onto the dynamo body by a bolt with a spring washer. Check and update us.