The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 volt to 12 volt austin 7
My RP has always been on 6 volts and I very rarely if ever go out in the dark in it. My rear lights are now LED and headlamps have just been brought up to scratch with new rims, lenses, bulbs and reflectors by Stuart Joseph.
If i were to do it (which i'm not for reasons already discussed), i would probably stick in a simple voltage divider circuit using 2 resistors of the same value. Then you can have a 6v circuit for any original ancilliaries, plus the 12v for the lights and starter (plus a 12v coil if you wanted).

Apparently converting the Dynamo is also easy and it becomes more efficient. The starter is also very happy with 12v. There are some good little guides on the Cornwall A7 website Smile
Thanks everybody for your help.  I will look at the options and see what my set up is like and whether it does need updating.
Certainly will look at LED lights.

Charlie
I agree with all coments about 6v being Ok but with one exception and that is the indicators. I have the rubber type indicators which cherished suppliers sell but find them not very bright in sunlight. Having followed A7s fitted with 6v LED ones they are still not very obvious in sunlight. Even the latest 6v pork pie type rear lamps fitted with the split red/orange lenses don’t seem any better. Mr Ruairidh Dunford mentioned recently that he uses a gadget on his 6v Pearl that converts to 12v for the indicators only. (Have I got that correct R?) That sounds a great idea.
Cheers,
Dave.
(20-08-2018, 02:25 PM)the17paynes@aol.com Wrote: Thanks everybody for your help.  I will look at the options and see what my set up is like and whether it does need updating.
Certainly will look at LED lights.

Charlie

I meant to ask at the start - Do you have any particular reason for thinking that you need 12 volts?

I've recently fitted on of these DIGITEN DC 6V 5-11V to 12V 2A Step up Converter Regulator Waterproof Boost Power

(Ebay 273178945720 ) to my RP saloon for running 12 volt accessories.
Dave W - you are correct, I did this for the same reasons you highlight.

I will call you to explain the details.
I have stayed with 6 volts and do not have led lighting. What I do have is a small box of tricks the size of a couple of machboxes which fits under the dashboard and it has some electric wizardry together with slight wiring changes to both the Dynamo and cut out so that I now have a two brush Dynamo that charges at a higher rate without damaging the battery because it workers similar that the new all singing all dancing battery chargers that switch charging on and off when required and will only allow a charging rate the battery is happy to except.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I’ve never had any problem with my “pork pie” LEDs being seen by a following vehicle. I always look in the rear view mirror on signalling and invariably see the following car dropping back — I think, however, there is some advantage to be had in having a car that draws attention!
Being able to drive with heads on has been useful this summer and provided an element of safety when driving from bright sun into shade — a case of being seen, like the bikers. It’s just nice to see the ameter showing a positive charge with all lights on.

Charles
(20-08-2018, 02:46 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Mr Ruairidh Dunford mentioned recently that he uses a gadget on his 6v Pearl that converts to 12v for the indicators only. (Have I got that correct R?) That sounds a great idea.

For Dave, and others who are interested, these are the parts I used to convert my 6v supply so that it would run a 12v LED flasher (with buzzer) and 12V LED flasher bulbs. The small step-up converter I chose (not necessarily the same one as shown below) fits neatly inside the fuse cover on the bulkhead of my Pearl.

Flasher with buzzer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-12V-2-Pin-...SwQbNbM14Q

LED 21w 12v flasher bulbs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-White-115...SwM2xan5G6

6-12v step up: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2A-DC-DC-Boos...SwB09YQTCM

To be clear, I am not advocating that you all rush out and do this to your own car - as with all things, that is a choice you must make on your own.
I have no problems with people seeing my 6V LED rear lights and indicators. In fact I have the opposite comments, that they are very bright.
Also my Satnav has worked perfectly for many thousands of miles from a 6V cigar lighter socket. Likewise charging mobile devices and USB. They are almost all 5.5 volts so no problems on 6.
Jim