The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registration detail
Hello
Some doubt about my Ruby’s number.
Is it possible for a registration number consisting of 3 letters followed by 3 numbers to be the original number of a 1936 car ?
Regards
           Tim
(03-09-2018, 06:53 AM)Tiger Wrote: Hello
Some doubt about my Ruby’s number.
Is it possible for a registration number consisting of 3 letters followed by 3 numbers to be the original number of a 1936 car ?
Regards
           Tim

Hi Tim.

Yes, perfectly possible.

That configuration was progressively introduced from late 1933.  By 1936, some authorities had got up to E or F as the first of the three letters.

Three numbers followed by three letters would be wrong, as this layout was introduced from the mid-fifties and is the format for the inappropriately-named "age-related" plates currently being issued.

If you could let me know all of the letters, I can tell you the month of issue.

Martin.
Tim,
Yes, mine is - (DKJ 851 - '36 Nippy).
DKJ is a series issued by Kent County Council between June and October 1936; 851 will therefore be late September or early October.
Spot on Mike!
Many thanks for your replies Gents.
I feel a lot happier with the vehicle.
DGJ 852
She has been very badly treated before my ownership.
So needs a lot of fettling.
I have no idea of the engine condition and wonder what steps to take to test it?
Regards
Tim
PS engine is only loosely assembled.
I am mainly concerned with assessing the bottom end and I am reluctant to remove the engine.
If it's "loosely assembled "I'd be very suspicious there is some thing wrong with it.
(03-09-2018, 11:57 AM)Tiger Wrote: Many thanks for your replies Gents.
DGJ 852
I have no idea of the engine condition and wonder what steps to take to test it?
Regards
          Tim
I am mainly concerned with assessing the bottom end and I am reluctant to remove the engine.

DGJ is a London registration, issued in August 1936

Do you have a V5 registration document?

If you're new to Austin Sevens, I'd strongly recommend joining a local club (see www.a7ca.org for a list). You'll find loads of help, advice and useful contacts.
It's fairly easy to remove the sump from underneath and get at the big ends, and also centre main bearing, if you have a three bearing engine. This would perhaps afford you a rough idea of what you're up against. For any more meaningful inspection you'd really do better to take the engine out, it's not all that difficult.
(03-09-2018, 11:57 AM)Tiger Wrote: Many thanks for your replies Gents.
DGJ 852
Regards
          Tim

Just further to my last reply, I see that your car is listed as SORN on the DVLA site and is also included on the A7CA register.  All numbers and dates look right.