The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
65 Bonnet catch
Hi all, was getting a bit restless after Guildtown so have started one or two other projects. Looking to replace the Ruby type bonnet catches on the type 65 with something a bit more appropriate. Looking at the Seven Workshop catalogue I can't decide between flitch or wing fitting. They don't fit on the wings so I suppose I should the flitch fitting type are the ones to use. Any recommendations?
Hi,
The type 65 bonnet catch should hook onto a small lug under the finger lift.
The correct ones are BO196 mounted onto the flitch just behind the front wings.
So not like mine then? (Type 65, 1934)

I have been told mine are wrong, so would be grateful for a photo of the correct job.

The only query is that my car was restored in the early 90's by Chris Keevill, with whom I have been in contact. In one email he states: 

"Rinsey Mills asked my permission to feature it in his book ‘The Original Austin Seven’ because it is absolutely correct in every detail - right down to having the proper door latches!"

I am away at the moment so can't check, but I recall a hand written note of his saying that the bonnet was in good condition when he got the car (which was then a box of bits)

Apologies for the weird fonts. I seem to be able to do everything to the typeface except change its size.

Regards

Colin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

off thread, but would be good to get some photos of the boot tool storage blocks in the back of yours, Colin. There is also a more correct screen rubber than the one in the photo.
(12-08-2018, 02:42 PM)JonE Wrote: off thread, but would be good to get some photos of the boot tool storage blocks in the back of yours, Colin. There is also a more correct screen rubber than the one in the photo.

Hi Jon

Will try and remember when I'm back in Leeds. Currently making our way slowly homewards through France in our motorhome, and feeling both envious and in awe of Ruairidh!

Colin
Hi,
I am afraid that the ones on your car are the same as on my 1933/34 Type 65.
They are an aftermarket bonnet catch.
I will have to take the front wings of my car to put the correct catch's back on.
If you look inside the bonnet below the flitch reinforcement you should find the 3 holes to match the original bonnet catch's
The spring type in your picture are much stronger and will stop the bonnet lifting up at 65 MPH +
You have to remember that the original Box Saloon type catch's were unavailable for many years so anything that fitted was pressed into service in the 60's and 70's
Austin would have used the same type of catch as on the other models in period.
I am sure the open spring type was a product of the 50's 60's
Chris Gould that judges at 750 MC Bealieu is the real expert on the Type 65
(12-08-2018, 09:44 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi,
I will have to take the front wings of my car to put the correct catch's back on.
If you look inside the bonnet below the flitch reinforcement you should find the 3 holes to match the original bonnet catch's
The spring type in your picture are much stronger and will stop the bonnet lifting up at 65 MPH +
You have to remember that the original Box Saloon type catch's were unavailable for many years so anything that fitted was pressed into service in the 60's and 70's

Many thanks for the explanation. I shall investigate further, although there are a number of jobs ahead of the bonnet catches, which do at least do the job for now!

Colin
(12-08-2018, 09:44 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi,
Had a look and found evidence of the three holes on the flitch spaced at 10, 2 and 6 o'clock. Checking the photos on the Seven Workshop site the BO194, normal used for mounting on the flitch, appears to have the holes at 12, 4 and 8 so won't fit. The BO196 however, normally for wing mounting, does look to have the right hole pattern so I'm going for that one. Thanks again for all the comments.
Mine on my Nippy is like this... Not sure the little plate behind it is correct....

Attached Files
.jpg   Nippy Bonnet Catch.jpg (Size: 58.35 KB / Downloads: 173)
This is what I assume to be the original fitting - early 65 car, 1933.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_20140703_100905_kindlephoto-4656310.jpg (Size: 114.84 KB / Downloads: 175)