The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guildtown weekend
We're just back from another Scottish Austin Seven Rally at Guildtown, an event we always look forward to.

This was the scene on Friday lunchtime, working out the 3D jigsaw puzzle. Three people plus full camping gear into a very small car.

The journey down was hot and sunny. We paused in Aviemore for ice creams (where the tarmac on the High Street was melting) and Pitlochry for dinner.

Arrived early evening and set up camp, and into the tent just in time for a dramatic thunder storm.

Excellent road run on the Saturday, passing fields of unidentified flowering crops ...

...and following Tony's gorgeous one-and-a-half seater.

The Saturday night ceilidh was as wild as the weather and great fun. Sunday's rally gave us a chance to pick up one or two spares and admire Sevens of all shapes and sizes

Prize-giving brought us a big surprise; for the first time ever we won the long-haul award! Many others had travelled much further (including our valued autojumblers) but we did it without a trailer!

The journey back was uneventful apart from relentless rain. The Ruby performed flawlessly and had another 300 miles on the clock by the time we got home. We missed seeing one or two of the regular attenders this year, but it's still one of our favourite events and well worth a visit next year if you've never been.

Many thanks to the organisers who put in so much time and enthusiasm.

Great news Peter - next year we will there again!
Chris and I came up to Guildtown on Saturday morning and joined the road run. An excellent day out and good to see people again.
We returned in the afternoon to meet my daughter who had been in USA for 2-1/2 months.
Very windy on the way back, and an opportunity to test the wind deflectors on the new Forth road bridge. They work but a lot of turbulence around the piers. The fabric saloon is sensitive to wind being quite tall and quite light.
From Edinburgh back to Melrose was directly into a very strong wind. The car coped very well even over the high and exposed Soutra Brae.
Altogether 230 miles in the day. Very enjoyable.
We had hoped to return today in the newly restored Citroen SM but a rather weak hydraulic fluid return pipe and the bad weather made us opt out.
Jim
Well done Peter,

And thanks for putting the boot lid back. I know I hit some of those potholes hard. Could do with a new hip now.

Just got back in myself, 2 am in the morning. And back home in Huncote on the pig.

Loved the weekend as always, the scots know how to do things.

Was also good to see Mr goodfellows feminine side at the ceilidh  Big Grin

I had a lot to do on the friday, so after we had unloaded the little super sport. And fitted the hood. Bit surprise it still fitted after 30 years. Thought had shrunk more. It was needed especially on the way back on the road run. I kind of dumped the car in front of the main tent. And got on with other things.

Came back about 4 hours latter, and found a lovely collecting of cars had joined her at the barbi.

[attachment=3380]

The heavens opened near midnight Friday, for some usual alcoholics in the tent.

So we felt the sports cars could do will a little more shelter from the rain.

[attachment=3381]

My little baby sports surprised me on the Sunday, not only did she get a 1st in the sports category. And there are always wonderful cars at guildtown.

But she also picked up best in show.

[attachment=3382]
Your silverware is very well deserved Tony, and you're right, there are always some interesting and unusual cars at Guildtown for a relatively small event. Thank you for making the long journey once again.

For clarification, Andrew Goodfellow was the subject of the "looky likey" competition this year, in which all the entrants were ladies. Hilarious if not a little disturbing! Anyone got photos?

I'm glad you got home OK Jim, I can imagine the saloon is a lot more challenging in stormy weather than our Ruby - and you have the challenge of busy roads which we don't in our direction. We stay on back roads as far as possible but there is a 15 mile section of the A9 which is unavoidable. Thankfully we found ourselves about quarter of a mile in front of a lorry doing 45 mph. He held up all the traffic behind us and we drove completely undisturbed by moderns!

Peter.
(30-07-2018, 08:32 AM)Peter Naulls Wrote: For clarification, Andrew Goodfellow was the subject of the "looky likey" competition this year, in which all the entrants were ladies. Hilarious if not a little disturbing! Anyone got photos?

I Think i may have a full video!!......
then don't keep us in suspence
(30-07-2018, 08:32 AM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Your silverware is very well deserved Tony, and you're right, there are always some interesting and unusual cars at Guildtown for a relatively small event. Thank you for making the long journey once again.

For clarification, Andrew Goodfellow was the subject of the "looky likey" competition this year, in which all the entrants were ladies. Hilarious if not a little disturbing! Anyone got photos?

I'm glad you got home OK Jim, I can imagine the saloon is a lot more challenging in stormy weather than our Ruby - and you have the challenge of busy roads which we don't in our direction. We stay on back roads as far as possible but there is a 15 mile section of the A9 which is unavoidable. Thankfully we found ourselves about quarter of a mile in front of a lorry doing 45 mph. He held up all the traffic behind us and we drove completely undisturbed by moderns!

Peter.

We had a good journey.

We use the old A9 through Bridge of Earn, GlenFarg, Kinross and Inverkeithing which is a good road and virtually empty.
Only busy bit was the 3rd 4th Bridge which is now 70mph and the first half uphill into a head wind so about 30mph. I wish we could still use the 2nd 4th Bridge.
We then stayed on the A90 into Edinburgh which was very quiet and through the City where we easily keep up with the traffic.
The A68 is Seven friendly, though the climb up and over Soutra was a bit slow with the headwind
The tailwind explains why the car did 60mph most of the way from Soutra to Pathhead when I was heading North on the way to Guildtown.

A very enjoyable day.

I would like to be able to get North of House of Bruar (or maybe Dalnacardoch) but the A9 seems unavoidable and a lot is uphill to Drumochter Summit so challenging. Alternative is A93 but it's a long way round. Tempting to try the cycle route!!!

Jim & Chris
Jim
The first bit North of House of Bruar is the worst, though there are frequent lay-bys. Beyond that the uphill bit to Dalnaspidal is all dual carriageway so at least the traffic can pass. I know what you mean about the cycle path though!

Peter.
What is that - an LAP head or an MG engine?

Attached Files
.jpg   Friends7s.JPG (Size: 39.72 KB / Downloads: 163)