The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C35M dynamo assembly
Could someone please enlighten me to the correct assembly of the drive end of a C35M dynamo? I have found an exploded diagram of a C35A but the assembly is different.

Many thanks
wild_willy
Is this what you want Willy?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The diagram from the Woodrow book is the 35A. The same for a 35M would be very useful.

I have my own crude sketches for the 35M but variations have been encountered and I am not certain of the original. There is a slinger on the outside of the bearing and (sometimes?) also on the inside, the inner one operates within a cup shaped contain which spaces the bearing and which retains a felt seal on the inner side.
Hopefully someone will improve on this.

Incidentally I have a diagram from somewhere labelled p143 Illustration NG which same as 35A above but showing washers both sides of the bearing.
Thanks Dave for  your response but the C35A front housing is a bit different as Bob has explained in his response. Bob I haven't found much on the C35M on the internet. I'm aware that they were used on other vehicles but with very little documentation. It appears that the bearing is held between the 2 housings and then there is a space between the bearing and the felt seal. In my case this leaves a flat washer and a stepped spacer which assembly order or function aren't obvious. It could also be missing parts as well as the generator in question was only loosley assembled when I got it.

Are you able to scan your sketches  and post and/or confirm where the stepped spacer goes? I will take some pics on the asembley laid out in the order I think it should be.

Many thanks
Bruce
I am not in the practice of posting pics and it would take me an hour (or afternoon) to figure. 

Hopefully someone more familiar can advise but from sketch, under the end cover there is a pressed slinger curved outwards at the outer dia, the bearing, then a washer cum slinger stepped to clear the outer bearing ring. Surrounding and inward of this this a cup shaped piece with hole to clear the shaft. This piece spaces the bearing in the housing and  compresses/retains a felt seal.

i cannot recall the commutator end, except beware  the key for the gear may  not pass through the bearing bush. Odd sized bushes are encountered so prudent not to destroy.

Apart from a generally cooked appearance and flung solder, the comm is often worn thin. If very thin the end copper may fold out and ruin the brushes. And at risk of the obvious may be convenient to use a steady to run the armature true in a lathe. When undercutting, mica should not remain on the walls of the slots.

The armature on 2 pole dyns is wound 1 to 2 to 3 etc to 1 and a digital meter can detect differences in reistance between adjacent segments; often an indicator of  connections requiring resoldering.

Where in the world are you at this hour?
Bob thanks for your detailed explanation. I have taken some pics and would appreciate it if you could see if I've got the order right.

Many thanks for your input
Bruce in Melbourne
Hi Bruce
It is a couple of years since I had one apart but matches my diag. The discs each side of bearing arranged to clear the outer ring of race. E&OE!
My car and its spare engine have acquired DEL, 35A and 35M  dynamos so it gets confusing!
Thanks Bob. I'll get a new bearing and put it back together and hope the electricity God is with me!
Sorry the only other assembly drawing I have is hopelessly incorrect with quite a few bits missing. Next time I have a dynamo in bits I'll photograph it in the correct assembly order.
I suppose everyone now replaces with a sealed bearing.