The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear main oil seal
I did end up gently opening out the holes in the crank with a tungsten burr. All I did was remove the sharp edge to the oil hole and blend it into the trough a little. It can't hurt and it seems to collect a bit more oil now. I was able to do it with everything in place with rags protecting bearings and journals and a shop vac to suck away dust (and a couple of rags!). A good rinse out afterwards and it all looks fine.

It always amuses me that in an Austin 7 you read the oil gauge looking for low pressure as normal and high pressure as a sign that something has gone wrong.

Have the crank in as well as the cam now. I held the middle cam rollers in place with grease and they just slipped in easily. I figured the chamfered side of the middle cam bearing went to the front to help with sliding he rollers into place. It also helps that it's cold here and the grease was thick. Flywheel is on now but I still need to torque up the nut fully.

Simon
I'm working on building up a spare engine at the moment having already installed one I did earlier. Unfortunately the secrets of Speedi sleeves evaded me at the time I fitted the rear main oil seal and plate to the engine now in the car - fingers crossed it doesn't gush out too much oil.

I shall certainly fit a sleeve to this latest project having read this thread, but I am torn between ordering the SKF example or one at half the price listed on eBay. The eBay example doesn't state if it comes with the 'drifting' cap which might explain the price difference? Is it worth the saving or should I stick with tried and tested SKF sleeve?
In my experience, savings are usually not worth it.
Alan Fairless
If the ones you've found on ebay are from dtsealsukltd then, yes, they do come with the drifting cap and those I've had have been excellent. Whilst I'd normally agree with Alan's comment above, in this instance I've used both the dtsealsuk ones and the SKF ones and haven't noticed any difference in quality or performance.

Steve
Thanks Alan, generally I would agree which is what I'd expect, but Steve has identified the alternative correctly and that's good enough for me on this occasion. Thanks to you both - I shall order the cheaper one.

Thanks Alan, generally I would agree which is what I'd expect, but Steve has identified the alternative correctly and that's good enough for me on this occasion. Thanks to you both - I shall order the cheaper one.
The one I got came from a local supplier and wasn't an SKF one. It seems the parts numbers are generic. Quality wise it looked fine and came with the fitting cup thing.

Simon
(18-07-2018, 11:17 PM)jansens Wrote: The one I got came from a local supplier and wasn't an SKF one. It seems the parts numbers are generic. Quality wise it looked fine and came with the fitting cup thing.

Simon

Yesterday I fitted the speedi-sleeve from DTSeals to my flywheel and followed the excellent technical article written by Steve Martin on the Cornwall Austin Seven Club website, and it all went well. I now feel like a real engineer and will bask in the glory of a job well done, until the next thing raises its ugly head and normality returns. Thanks for the help and advice.