The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voltage at Coil Terminals - Help Please
(20-06-2018, 04:02 AM)steve davidson Wrote:
(18-06-2018, 09:59 PM)Chris KC Wrote: By the way here's a checklist of 40-odd points I generated when I couldn't get my own car started. It's an excel document so heaven knows if I can attach it successfully, if not message me and I'll share it with you directly.

It took me 2 days of testing and replacing stuff to find a very slight air leak at the inlet manifold. New gasket and it started first try on the handle...

nice sheet, I've been thinking about doing one of these for a while but I think you've nailed it!
Thanks Steve. It of course doesn't include e.g. Zenith carbs or magneto woes, and no doubt others could add things I've not thought of. I stopped adding when I finally got the blighter to fire!

(20-06-2018, 09:09 AM)John P Wrote: Thanks for all the advice.

I changed the lead from the coil to the distributor even though it looked OK and also found the connection to the capacitor was a bit suspect so rectified this.

Eventually I did get it to start but now it's only firing on 3 cylinders.   No 1 has a spark but with the engine running (sort of) removing the HT lead makes no difference at all.

Tomorrow I'll re-check the tappets and also try a new plug and see where that gets me.   Unfortunately I don't have a compression tester so I guess the next step would be to remove the head and look at the valves.

Out of interest what's the chance of re-using the old head gasket.   I believe it was a gasket material / copper laminate type?

John.
In my experience John if the head gasket has just been fitted you can get away with re-greasing it and re-tightening. If it's an old gasket bin it and replace.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Voltage at Coil Terminals - Help Please - by Chris KC - 20-06-2018, 09:54 AM