The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New crankcase
This may seem a foolish question. With the problems I've had with my crankcase, and another one from someone I know, and broken lip seals, etc. why hasn't anyone invested in new crankcases? I understand that heads, sumps and even blocks have been produced, but why not crankcases? Given their age, and that my sand cast one showed definte signs of metal fatigue, one would think it possible and even with enough orders, somewhat economical.

Erich in Seattle
Hi erich,

i have patterns for nippy / grasshopper, and blown Ulster.

Unmachined castings are £750 each unless casting prices have gone up.

The answer to why thay are not made will be obvious when you watch this thread to see how many people rush forward to buy.

Tony.
Hi Tony, being a neophyte would either of these work for my application(unblown Ulster rep)? As for price, yes, not cheap, but with cranks from Phoenix and Phoenix rods and sports pistons coming to 2000 quid, 750 doesn't seem too dear.

Erich in Seattle
The preservation of my Type 65's original crankcase is my major concern. I intend retiring the sports camshaft when I rebuild the engine and will take a view on the crankshaft once it's been crack tested. Knowing I can get a replacement crankcase if everything lets go is very reassuring. I had thought it was irreplaceable.
If you know anyone with a 5 axis CNC mill, that may well be a option worth looking at. A friend of mine has just made a crankshaft for a traction engine on one. 4 foot long. 2 throws at 90degrees. Approx 3 inch diameter.
That said I wonder how much a 1cwt lump of Alumimium costs.
Tony - when you said Nippy/Grasshopper, is that suggesting that it's one to suit both, or have you got a two bearing relieved-sides Nippy crankcase pattern that would look essentially the same as an original, as that's very good news if you do. Can we see a pic?

I was looking at the Ulster pic on your site yesterday but no mention of Nippy there...

If that price is unmachined, what sort of figure does machining add to turn it into a useable item?
(14-06-2018, 06:44 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi erich,

Tony.

(14-06-2018, 09:08 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: The preservation of my Type 65's original crankcase is my major concern. I intend retiring the sports camshaft when I rebuild the engine and will take a view on the crankshaft once it's been crack tested. Knowing I can get a replacement crankcase if everything lets go is very reassuring. I had thought it was irreplaceable.

That crankcase will be a lot more than £750 once it's finished. There is a lot of machining in an A7 crankcase. IIRC correctly, Quarry engineering were charging £2000+ some years ago for a finished blown Ulster or Nippy/Speedy case. That said, it looked a superb piece of work, having a bit more metal in the top deck than Longbridge item.

Personally, I wouldn't use an original 1 1/2" crank or rods in a sports crankcase.
Tony, just an observation that may be worth considering, most people are unable to machine any casting let alone a complete crankcase. You may find that you get more interest if you provide a price to supply a fully machined case, the cost is still likely to be prohibitive for many, however with the values of genuine cars (and indeed replicas) increasing so much one never knows. I imagine that there are quite a number of people out there who like myself would love to purchase a new case, and a few other items you have had made, if only we could afford to!
Black Art Enthusiast
hi all,

i can only guess on prices for machineing, as its been many years since ive spoken to people on this subject.

depending on were it was taken i would expect £2,000 to £3,000

paul bonewell machined one of the crankcasses for a nippy in scotland 2 or 3 years ago. but only they know what the cost was.

putting these items on the shelf machined, is not an option for me. the austin 7 world doesnt pay enough for that to happen.
as suggested above £750 is alot of money, and if i added another £2,000 to that. were do i make anything as a business Huh

the last time castings were done from these patterns they were done by dave flake, and cost £500 to cast. and sold for £750. lets not forget that was nearly 7 years ago when we sadly lost dave. im sure castings have rissen in price sinse then.

often when things look expensive in the austin world. lets not forget, its not all profit. it is usually very expensive to get something to stick a price tag on in the first place.

i`ll try sort some pics tomorrow.

sorry to press upon you all the price of things.

tony
(14-06-2018, 06:44 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi erich,

The answer to why thay are not made will be obvious when you watch this thread to see how many people rush forward to buy.

Tony.

Tony,

I can't imagine what those patterns would have cost (or be worth now)  and given the eye watering values given to genuine Nippys, Grasshoppers and Supercharged Ulsters it is good of you to hold them ready - I am sure there will be some who are prepared to pay whatever it takes  Confused 

Cheers, Tony.