The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meandering through the Spares Debate Again
Hi,

Has anyone posted a definitive spares list on here, please, for those who are going to venture hundreds of miles to Morton, when we usually stay local?

I have been thinking about what might be useful to get going again should the car falter or stop?  Perhaps, ideally, a spare working distributor, fuel pump, coil, head gasket, hose, carb float and half shaft in addition to the usual wheel nut, ignition lead, and spark plug I usually carry.  Plus a few tools. 

Colin
I’m pretty sure this has been covered on the forum and I seem to remember some years back some pretty comprehensive lists being produced.

Personally, I travel light and have a slimmed down tool kit, length of wire, string, electrical cable, points, a plug, condenser, duct tape, petrol and most important of all, my RAC card!
I try to work on the car(s) with the tool kit I carry, obviously leaving the serious and heavy kit at the workshop. At least you stand a chance of having the right tools which you know will do most jobs at the roadside even if you don't have every spare part.
Don't forget your mobile phone! (and charger)
Ah yes, one of those!
I was thinking on the principle of needing both fuel and spark to run then a failed pump (mine has been on over 20 yrs) or loss of spark would be most likely to stop the engine?  However, the only two times I have had to stop were smoke from a rubbing rear brake and a shorting starter motor switch.  The only time the car wouldn't start was on a very hot day years ago - the problem was vapour lock.  This did not recurred following a decoke. 

So - yes, a phone - and I carry a suitable tow rope as well.

This is the official spares list on here...

https://austinsevenfriends.co.uk/Bruce/B...20List.htm

There are quite a few of these I don't have - e.g. spare 3-bearing crank - but this is more if you are planning on crossing the Alps?
It's easy. Load the car up with everything you think you might need, and then go back into the garage to see what's left. Whatever it is, it'll be that part or tool that you'll need. Sod's Law.
I produced a comprehensive list of what I take when touring - some rolled their eyes, others opened them like saucers and few got something from it.

I can try and find the post, if you are seriously interested.
Hi Ruairidh - Yours was a trip of the 'crossing the Alps' scale?  A UK trip is perhaps less onerous?  I suppose it depends on the state of preservation of the vehicle?  Mine has newish rad hoses, for example, so these are less likely to fail - when compared to the Lucas distributor with its ancient condenser?  

Another way of looking at this would be to ask what are the 10 most common problems that cause 'a failure to proceed', as the Rolls owners would say?  

On a longer journey, weather conditions have to be suffered rather than being avoided?  Perhaps I should check how the car performs in terms of misting up and leaking by taking it out in a heavy rain shower beforehand?  

Experience shared is an opportunity to learn... 

Colin
There will be any number of suggestions I'm sure, Colin, but at a minimum I always carry a head gasket and a petrol pump. If the journey is a little more lengthy, a dynamo and distributor already assembled ready to fit is a comforting addition. But, as you say, it does rather depend on the journey you are undertaking..

As far as preparation is concerned, giving the car plenty of exercise over increasing distances is never a bad thing.. I have a circular test route that is about 20 miles in length but I'm never more than 6 or 7 miles from my house in case ao a 'failure to proceed'..

hth..
Hi All

A quick search gives spares lists on the Cornwall and Dorset sites.  The companion also has a list.

These are pretty extensive and take quite some space in the car.

I’m hoping to do the end to end next month, in the special.  There is not a lot of room (even with my trailer) so my philosophy on spares is….

What am I likely to have the skill, patience, willpower to do on the side of the road?  So I won’t be carrying a half shaft, nor include valve spring compressor in my tools. I will have RH insurance breakdown number though! (excellent service when I broke down in my classic Merc, never needed them for a Seven YET  Big Grin.)

Cheers

Howard