The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
HX4683
Is HX4683 still out there? This car holds a lot of memories for me as it belonged to one of my teachers, Tony Dixon, who used her as every day transport back in the late 70’s. Tony Dixon sparked my interest in vintage cars, including Austin 7’s. It seems that HX was still around up until about 2006 according to DVLA and previous attempts to find her suggested that she was owned by a 750 Club member. I wonder if she is still owned by the family. Any information or a picture would be welcome!

Jeremy
(17-05-2018, 08:05 PM)fieldfare Wrote: Is HX4683 still out there? This car holds a lot of memories for me as it belonged to one of my teachers, Tony Dixon, who used her as every day transport back in the late 70’s. Tony Dixon sparked my interest in vintage cars, including Austin 7’s. It seems that HX was still around up until about 2006 according to DVLA and previous attempts to find her suggested that she was owned by a 750 Club member. I wonder if she is still owned by the family. Any information or a picture would be welcome!

Jeremy

The fact that the DVLA Database says it's Untaxed (in a red box) with the tax being due on 7th Feb 2006 suggests that the car was taxed immediately prior to that due date. Given that SORN was introduced on 31st January 1998, the car should legally be either SORN'd or taxed, the fact that it isn't might suggest that it's been sold abroad and now carry a foreign registration. As you say, the A7CA Chassis Register suggests the last known owner was a 750 Club member.
I believe that HX4683 was a RK saloon and not an RM. The story that was told me was that she was found in a Herefordshire orchard and restored by Tony. The car was actually 1929 although it seems she was not registered until 1931. It never occurred to me that the car may have been sold abroad, if that is the case hopefully she is still a saloon!
HX 4683 is a of course Middlesex registration from around mid 1932. The first HX registration issued in January 1932 was HX 4000 with subsequent numbers apparently issued on an irregular basis into 1933 - for whatever reason.
Photo 
(18-05-2018, 10:21 AM)r Wrote: HX 4683 is a of course Middlesex registration from around mid 1932. The first HX registration issued in January 1932 was HX 4000 with subsequent numbers apparently issued on an irregular basis into 1933 - for whatever reason.

Picture of HX 4683 posted in a local newspaper some 18 years ago.

.jpg   20180518_073640_resized2.jpg (Size: 197.32 KB / Downloads: 872)
Thanks for the picture Dave. Would I be right in thinking she is a RK saloon? The dating that Jeff has given for the registration would suggest that it would be too late for an RK. Could it be that she was re-bodied at some time?
Apparently in the late 1980's the HX Middlesex registration records covering the years 1930 to 1933 were held by a private individual living in Carlton in Nottingham. It's possible this individual may no longer be around / have moved address / be too old now, so it might be worth contacting the Kithead Trust - link below, to see if they have any knowledge of the whereabouts of these HX records today - they would hopefully confirm the details of the car when new - chassis number / engine number etc.

The car is listed in the A7CA Chassis Register as an old entry last recorded in the year 2000, but said to be a 1931 RM Saloon. The chassis number shown on the Register is 131670 which would date the build of the chassis to March 1931 presumably as an RM - but for whatever reason it's carrying an earlier body (as shown in the photo) and the car doesn't appear to have been first registered until over 12 months after it was built - is that likely?

http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/motor-vehicle-records
(18-05-2018, 04:52 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Apparently in the late 1980's the HX Middlesex registration records covering the years 1930 to 1933 were held by a private individual living in Carlton in Nottingham. It's possible this individual may no longer be around / have moved address / be too old now, so it might be worth contacting the Kithead Trust - link below, to see if they have any knowledge of the whereabouts of these HX records today - they would hopefully confirm the details of the car when new - chassis number / engine number etc.

The car is listed in the A7CA Chassis Register as an old entry last recorded in the year 2000, but said to be a 1931 RM Saloon. The chassis number shown on the Register is 131670 which would date the build of the chassis to March 1931 presumably as an RM - but for whatever reason it's carrying an earlier body (as shown in the photo) and the car doesn't appear to have been first registered until over 12 months after it was built - is that likely?

http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/motor-vehicle-records
Apologies for hijacking another thread, but on the subject of number plates (because I can't get a new posting to work) -  Do any of the cars listed here belong to  Forum Friends?  HW122,  UO251,  YR4816,  MR6316,  RV6162,  800GPK,  YB7720,  PT8970,  PP7116.  If so, would appreciate your help if you could contact me on ausevenoz@gmail.com   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Bill,

The DVLA Database shows the following:

MR 6316 is 'Not taxed for on road use' which would suggest the car hasn't been taxed and on the road since at least the introduction of SORN on 31st January 1998 and possibly much earlier, maybe the 1970's / early 1980's ? - the A7CA Chassis Register shows it as being an old entry last recorded in the year 2000.

PT 8970 is 'Untaxed' (in a red box) the last tax being due on 29th June 1981 - the A7CA Chassis Register shows it as belonging to a member of the Austin 7 Owners Club (London) with the information last updated in July 2013. 

PP 7116 - this registration is now carried by an August 2010 Audi Quatro Coupe - the A7CA Chassis Register shows the AD Tourer now carries the registration SV 6373 and is currently taxed and presumably on the road.

The rest you'll be pleased to learn are all currently taxed and presumably on the road.

Jeff.
(18-05-2018, 10:21 AM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: HX 4683 is a of course Middlesex registration from around mid 1932. The first HX registration issued in January 1932 was HX 4000 with subsequent numbers apparently issued on an irregular basis into 1933 - for whatever reason.

I have an RM Saloon HX 8173, first registered June 1931.