The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The importance of crack testing
Obviously crack checking is very useful to prevent critical bits being put back onto a car that might then fail sooner rather than later - and with Sevens we are fortunate in that there are generally plenty of parts around to test.  But I wonder how deep some of these cracks are - is the item scrap once a crack is found?  When rebuilding my rear axle, the diff carrier was checked - the old type from 1928 and earlier - and there was a tiny crack in it, so I swapped to the newer type rather than risk building it into a renovated rear axle.  However, if the crack were only a couple of mm deep or less, it could perhaps have been ground out, without the component seeing undue stresses in service?  This is perhaps a difficult call, as cracks usually occur at a stress concentration and a failure of this type tends to happen without warning - but I have kept the item in case one day it becomes worth the trouble for someone to attempt to repair it.  

Colin

Messages In This Thread
The importance of crack testing - by Tony Betts - 15-05-2018, 01:23 PM
RE: The importance of crack testing - by bob46320 - 15-05-2018, 03:17 PM
RE: The importance of crack testing - by Colin Morgan - 15-05-2018, 03:21 PM
RE: The importance of crack testing - by Chris KC - 15-05-2018, 03:43 PM