The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
Before everyone starts to notice wear, the original distributor drive gears were not immune. Prior to older parts being introduced, the only stranding of my car was at about 80,000 when the distributor drive stripped. The original gears seemed not to be hardened (as adequate for the application) .
The distributor must turn freely. A light modern grease would seem ideal, perhaps with some moly provided it remains thin. Old original greases dried and lacked anti wear etc additives now included.

Years ago I bought a stack of (discarded) timing gears at a Swap Meet. To quickly grade sat each in a recess turned in a piece of wood and measured dia across two opposite balls sitting between teeth Was surprised at the range.

Defective aftermarket products are a curse. With other makes have encountered piston rings, valve guides which wear at phenomenal rate, pistons, valve springs which fail early etc etc. Not to mention fake ball races. Makes it especially awkward for persons charging out work done.

Admittedly based on only two sets but I have doubts about Regent cwp. The crown wheels seem quite soft.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - by Bob Culver - 03-06-2018, 12:01 AM