The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
Quote RD
" Why the trials did not show anything pre-production I do not know "

But they did, the first one burnt out within 10 minutes when Roger had it on a test rig, the other managed to last 2000 miles on Glynn,s car before it damaged the timing gear teeth on his car.
(25-07-2018, 10:55 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: The FACT everyone is conveniently ignoring is that unlike most of what Tony and our other cherished suppliers produce Accuspark are not supplying a product that is necessary to keep cars on the road. I challenge anyone to provide a VALID reason why I am wrong for the AVERAGE seven owner. Yes of course if it worked correctly an alternator will charge a battery better, disk brakes will stop a car better, a Suzuki engine will make it go better but are these VALID reasons for fitting these things, personal choice maybe and more power to your elbow if thats your particular poison.

I'm with you 100% on this, Ian.
(26-07-2018, 09:01 AM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: Quote RD
" Why the trials did not show anything pre-production I do not know "

But they did, the first one burnt out within 10 minutes when Roger had it on a test rig, the other managed to last 2000 miles on Glynn,s car before it damaged the timing gear teeth on his car.

I presume the burn out was acted upon - I am not aware of others doing so.

Glynn was alerted to the problem of the gears as a direct result of this thread, post production - you will remember me calling you to see if he had left for Spain, unfortunately he had.
The reason I fitted one on my Ruby was I was using a Nippon Denso alternator that was for a Kubota mini digger and the Accuspark one looked better on the engine, the second one was for the Pearl as it did not have a dynamo or distributor when I bought the car. The Ruby one has had the timing gears replaced as they were damaged, I have not done the distributor end yet as I am laid up with a slipped disc, the second one has not been changed yet at either end as the body is still off the chassis and although the engine has been started it has not run for more than 5 minutes.
(26-07-2018, 09:42 AM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: The reason I fitted one on my Ruby was I was using a Nippon Denso alternator that was for a Kubota mini digger and the Accuspark one looked better on the engine, the second one was for the Pearl as it did not have a dynamo or distributor when I bought the car. The Ruby one has had the timing gears replaced as they were damaged, I have not done the distributor end yet as I am laid up with a slipped disc, the second one has not been changed yet at either end as the body is still off the chassis and although the engine has been started it has not run for more than 5 minutes.

Sorry to hear you are unwell Nigel, I hope you feel better soon.

What reason/s did you have for choosing alternators over dynamos in the first place? I had not considered one in all the years I’ve used Sevens but I know people run with them. What was the appeal?
(26-07-2018, 08:48 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: 2200 miles into using the Dynamator - temperatures are in in the mid 30c range.

All good, so far.

Photo at Millau viaduct last week.

Great photo Ruairidh! I'm glad your trip is going well and that the Dynamator is getting a thorough testing!

These holidays are a great inspiration. I must confess to being a bit of a worrier when it comes to long journeys so its good to be able to draw on your experiences as a source of confidence. Expecting your car to withstand the extra luggage, extreme temperatures and long distances involved is a big ask so the technical feedback is appreciated. I'm looking forward to a full report when you get back!

Peter.
Thanks Ruairidh, I do have my old distributor in the back just in case and my experience of the distributor has been of improved pulling up hills and a little on top speed so am more than happy with its performance.

Also it feels a little like you are feeling that you have to defend Accuspark. It really isn't necessary, I would hope that they could speak up for themselves.
As I said my problem isn't that they had a technical problem. Also accepting that they may have communicated well with some owners, and also accepting that I didn't buy one so I have no first hand experience of good/bad communication, I just don't see them doing a good job here of supporting their broader customers.

Oh, and inspirational pictures as always. What are you doing on the interweb anyway, go enjoy your holiday. Just been working in my polytunnel and the thermometer is on its max 50 degrees Smile

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks Peter.

Good to hear you are happy and experiencing improvements as well Andy. Many thanks for the good wishes, I hope your plants survive the heat you are experiencing!
Tony Betts wrote ,But the thing that's nagging me, is accu spark are quite a large company.

They certain are Tony their Current assets were £228647 for 2016 and £269710 for 2017.
Hi Nigel,

I knew it would happen, I think you are taking my words out of context.

I couldn't give two monkeys how big the company is financially worth, although if that's what they are worth then perhaps they could put a little back into letting there customers know there is a problem with there product.

IAN Williams understood what I actually sed, they are not a one man band. As I sed " not a small company"

All companies nowadays have one eye on what there business can be sold for, one aspect of doing this. Is being able to show the next owners what a large customer base you have. so as I sed as a large company, I would expect them to keep customer details. Ie names and adresses. I'm sure they will also have records of what was sold to who.

I don't know how many of these items they have sold, 100 or 1000. But surely a 1000 phone calls or letters is a drop in the ocean. To what they are leaving those customer to. WHO HAVENT YET BEEN TOLD THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS ITEM.

Tony.