The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update - Very Late Ruby up for Auction - Not Auction - More Pictures
Hi

Have just seen that the very late Ruby I examined some years ago and as discussed on the Cornwall Club website is being auctioned by Mathewsons in Yorkshire in May. (The current owner is not known to me.)

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...0Features/

The car has quite a few unusual detailed features, though it is unclear whether or not they date back to when it left the factory.  The Chassis No is given in the register as 290072, so there a few later Rubies on there - not sure if any share these modifications to the earlier ARR design?  Why anyone - at the factory, or a later owner - would go to the trouble of incorporating these odd changes is unclear to me.

Regards,
Colin
The details highlighted in that article do seem most strange; by the beginning of 1939 the days of the Ruby were numbered (the Big Seven had been on the market for a couple of years, and the Eight was about to be introduced), so it doesn't make sense to modify the model to such an extent. Nevertheless,they don't sound to be a later owner's modifications.

The article also mentions the retention of the chrome radiator on the van for a couple of years after the introduction of the Ruby. This is not an unusual scenario in the van world: the A35 van continued long after the saloon was discontinued, and the old-style A55/A60 van never received the Farina treatment. And in more recent times, even the VW Golf Cabriolet retained the Mk1 style right through Mk2 production. In the case of the Seven van, I think this was largely because of difficulty in incorporating a suitable rear petrol tank for the van body - the AVJ van retaining  the scuttle tank, albeit with a petrol pump, right through to 1937.
I have always wondered whether any of the other surviving 1939 cars have any of these strange features - but have never had the opportunity to check.  Items like the curved rear edges to the front wings and the longer rear wings to match the strange body profile baffle me.

Colin
Mine was registered the same day , most probably by the same dealer in Sheffield , ( mine was FWL 424 ) but does not have any of those features but does have the hidden hinge bonnet and steel sunroof, The chassis number of mine is 290070 and the featured one is 290072 , two numbers away .Edit to add : My car has a tourer top hinge to hold the exterior mirror on the drivers door, the type with the hole in it secured by a cotter, I have every reason to believe this original as it is a 34 thousand mile car laid up in 1960 , there was body colour paint under the hinge when I removed it, looking at the photo of the featured car I think it has the same mirror mounting.
So, this would suggest that FWE 435 is a one-off? Either the factory was trying out variations for some reason (which seems unlikely?) or an owner customised his car to be a bit different? However, items like the pressing for the front number plate seem to be a lot of trouble to go to for a one-off.

Colin
Nigel, I assume your registration number is FWE 424? FWL is an Oxfordshire series from late 1937.

Incidentally, the Ruby does not appear on Mathewson's web site - where did you learn of its entry in the May sale, Colin?
Here:

https://mathewsons.co.uk/vehicle-auction...d-austin-7

Regards,
Colin

Looks like it is an old listing... sorry.

Colin
Do square pedals occur in the 8? Could it be something they tried - thinking it would be a possible different 2 door market segment to continue with - but didn't?
Certainly pre-war the Eight had typical Austin round pedals.
.." you either love or loathe them" .. " it would appear the registration is not locked to the car", well it may have been for the last 79 years matey !!
Message to self, avoid Mathewsons !!