The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shim washers
Bit of of a newbie question, but does anyone know a supplier of imperial shim washers?

I'm replacing the camshaft and crankshaft timing gears and was feeling quite pleased I'd got the camshaft end float dead on .002", but now need a .046" shim to bring the crankshaft pinion in line with the camshaft gear.
o/d is 1 3/4" and i/d is 1 1/8", so metric 42 x 30mm to give 1.15mm would do but is not ideal.

Being a lazy, mean Yorkshireman I'm wanting an off the shelf imperial alternative to buying yards of shim stock and making my own.
I have had excellent service from Screw City who trade on eBay. They have a wide range of available sizes. Metric only I'm afraid.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...3287469547
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
(29-04-2018, 05:24 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: Bit of of a newbie question, but does anyone know a supplier of imperial shim washers?

I'm replacing the camshaft and crankshaft timing gears and was feeling quite pleased I'd got the camshaft end float dead on .002", but now need a .046" shim to bring the crankshaft pinion in line with the camshaft gear.
o/d is 1 3/4" and i/d is 1 1/8", so metric 42 x 30mm to give 1.15mm would do but is not ideal.

Being a lazy, mean Yorkshireman I'm wanting an off the shelf imperial alternative to buying yards of shim stock and making my own.

I have used BMC Mini type track rod end shims for setting up the pre-load on double thrust front main bearings. The inside diameter is spot on for the front journal of the crankshaft. Various thicknesses used to be available.
Robert Leigh
Thanks for the info.
Ordered a selection from RS Components, so out with the Dremel in the morning.
https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/shim-kits/0680145/