The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing gears
I have a small lump out of one tooth on my camshaft pinion so am looking to replace it and the crankshaft pinion. Please does anyone know of a supplier? None of our cherished suppliers seem to list these. The car is coil ignition and the crankcase is marked "+2", which I understand means the crank and camshaft centres are .002" above standard.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

From the photo, why do you want to replace them. The chamfer on the gears is about the same size as the chip. The % of tooth that is missing within the contact area appears quite small. It looks like it was chipped a long time ago and has seen good service since. I would leave it for another 50 years or so.
My RN has a small chip on the crown wheel in the back axle, and its done 10,000 miles and touch wood many more to go yet.
BobH
Hello Colin, the +2 refers to how much out of alignment the crank and camshaft were at the time of manufacture but over the years the crankcases have 'moved' an this number is meaningless.
Where abouts are you as you would be welcome to call and try a selection from my stock or try Tony Betts.

Regards from Staffordshire - the creative county.

Stuart
Tony Betts of Seven Counties Austins will have second hand ones.
if its original, then the Sports ones will be more difficult to get hold of. How does one tell the difference out of interest?
The camshaft taper in sports gears is bigger, they are not interchangeable
Alan Fairless
And they are steel
It is a sports engine with the original crankcase, crank and block. The gears have the Austin 00 and 0 timing marks so are probably original too. I'm fairly sure the damage has occurred since a PO had some engine work done about a couple of thousand miles and ten years ago (I've only taken it round the block so far). My priority is to preserve the crankcase.

Thanks Stuart and Dave, I'll give Tony a ring.

Jon, Chris Gould's guide says the front camshaft journal is larger than normal, hence the camshaft pinion has a larger centre hole. Apparently the timing gears were steel rather than iron. (A Guide to the Austin '65' and Nippy, CSW Gould, p36)

eta beaten to this by Alan and David - thanks.
Agreed with all the details about the sports cam gears having a larger bore, I also agree that they are usually made of steel, however I do have a cast iron version that came off a Nippy cam.
Black Art Enthusiast
If those are a matched pair I would leave well alone. If you can hear a knock then fine, change them. If not, keep them.