The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932
(14-06-2018, 09:06 AM)JonE Wrote:
(21-04-2018, 02:03 PM)Alan Wrote: Just remember short wheelbase half shafts come in two diameters. Measured on the polished bit just behind the gear teeth they are either 0.875in or 0.890in. Without a lot of messing around they aren’t interchangeable.

I know there are two threads running.. but this statement deserves clarification for those like me who have never taken such things apart yet! Why exactly are they not interchangeable? What are the characteristics that are different that prevent fit with other connecting parts Is it different teeth, or does it affect the taper joint?

Because the increased axle diameter is at the point that the axle runs through the plain bearing on either side of the crown wheel carrier in the differential,  if you purchase a later 'large' axle and try to fit it to an early carrier fitted with the 'small' bush it won't go.

Reaming the two bushes true in line is difficult without using a reamer with a guide (which I assume the factory used).

Cheers, Tony.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932 - by Tony Press - 14-06-2018, 10:19 AM