The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 route from Amsterdam to Italy...
My motoring experiences in Holland have led me to the conclusion that, while there are smaller routes, if you want to head southwards Zeebrugge is a better point of entry to the continent.
I expect you'd be sailing Newcastle Ijmuiden? Heading south-east from there is tricky as the whole area is ringed by motorways. In a small and slowish car there is much to be avoided!
This may sound contrary, I was born in Holland and have a great love for the place but it's crowded and the non-motorway transport system is better set up for public transport/cycling/ motorcycling rather than light motoring.
France by contrast has a much more widely distributed population and miles and miles of wonderful Départmental routes which allow you to avoid motorways with little trouble.
The shortest route to Italy is undoubtedly through Germany and there are routes that avoid motorways but they are less easy to find in my limited experience.
As a convinced Francophile I'd prefer to spend an extra day or two there on the way to Italy.
Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time, enjoy your trip!
Thanks Duncan.
(18-08-2017, 05:01 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 04:42 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thanks Brian - I love an excuse to buy a good map!

I think Brian and I are talking about slightly different map books, Ruairidh. I think Brian's will be the 1:150,000 version. Mine is the larger scale 1:100,000 version with even more detail. As I understood it when I got mine, the 1:100,000 version was only available to ANWB members although that was a few years ago. No doubt Andrew will put me right if that's not the case. 

Whatever, try and get the largest scale (and most up to date) map you can, particularly for Holland. The common ones at 1:200,000, 1:300,000, 1:500,000 scale and are the best part of useless for the sort of roads you'll be looking for. You can get individual sheets at a big scale made for cyclists but you'd need a big box to carry them all in :shy:

Steve

The ANWB 1:100.000 road map is available to members (€16.50) and non-members (€17.50) alike.
Andrew Fallon
Netherlands
(18-08-2017, 08:10 PM)Andrew Fallon Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 05:01 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 04:42 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thanks Brian - I love an excuse to buy a good map!

I think Brian and I are talking about slightly different map books, Ruairidh. I think Brian's will be the 1:150,000 version. Mine is the larger scale 1:100,000 version with even more detail. As I understood it when I got mine, the 1:100,000 version was only available to ANWB members although that was a few years ago. No doubt Andrew will put me right if that's not the case. 

Whatever, try and get the largest scale (and most up to date) map you can, particularly for Holland. The common ones at 1:200,000, 1:300,000, 1:500,000 scale and are the best part of useless for the sort of roads you'll be looking for. You can get individual sheets at a big scale made for cyclists but you'd need a big box to carry them all in Shy

Steve

The ANWB 1:100.000 road map is available to members (€16.50) and non-members (€17.50) alike.

I think that the route through Germany could be good as an alternative to France. The German "Landstrassen" are excellently surfaced, relatively  lightly used & often subject to 8okmh speed limits so less popular with the natives! Holland is a bit of a minefield...the Dutch A7 club may have some advice...it certainly is very busy & many towns have the centres closed & pedestrianized which plays havoc with non up to date sat navs! This summer I went through Holland, Germany & France in a 1955 ZA Magnette - which was ok on the Autobahnen at 70-75- but finding our way round Holland after landing at the Hook was "interesting". It all depends where you can cross to!
David
Driving through France in a vintage car last year we had a suction cap mount for the phone and did not use a map just told Google Maps not to travel on motorways, put our hotel for that night in and off we went.  It was a surprisingly relaxed way of travelling with no navigator friction.
Cheers

Mark
I have to say that I am with Mark on this one. I would not wish to teach grandma to suck eggs. On the Euro tour last year we chose names on the route plan to put in the SATNAV and let it choose the route. Of the Six countries visited only the Belgian roads left something to be desired. Keep out of Stuttgart.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Thanks guys - my query is specific to arriving at the Amsterdam port, the only bit I have no real experience of.

I am in correspondence with Andrew about routes and will make a decision as to driving further in the UK or mainland Europe.

Thank you.
I used to do the Manchester-Bologna run every year (for work). Found the Hull-Rotterdam crossing particularly good. Wake up fresh(?) after the crossing and ready to go first thing in the morning.

Can't advise about the rest in A7 terms, we aimed to get to Switzerland for the evening.
Thanks Michael - we have travelled that crossing before. There used to be a fabulous ferry (for us - we live in Glasgow) Rosyth to Zeebrugge, now sadly gone!
Yes, the Rosyth/Zeebrugge would have been perfect for you if only it were still running.
The Landstrassen sound interesting, I'll have to do some research on those as I have a German trip proposed. I suppose the philosophical approach is to accept you'll lose most of a day fighting your way to the German border but relax and enjoy it.
Holland is beautiful...and as the Master said about Norfolk "very flet" so less strain on a Seven.