The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Big Seven starting problem
Stale fuel is my pet bete noir. How I crave a dose of leaded 4 star that would stay good for months and months on end!

Point is this - I too had a fuel tank out, cleaned and sealed. Put in fresh fuel straight from the pump. Car ran fine. Went back to it again about six weeks later and it would not start. Put newer 'fresh fuel' into the float bowl and it fired up immediately. Next day - same thing. This is on an RP saloon by the way.

So I drained the tank and refueled it. All ran fine and with regular use is continuing to run fine..

I put the drained fuel in my MGB and although it would start, it ran like an utter pig.

This is not the first time fuel I have had fuel go off in a relatively short period. Perhaps it is atmospherics. Perhaps it is ethanol causing it.

So now, whenever I get a problem with starting a car that has been standing for more than a very few weeks, and the cause isn't obvious, I always begin the hunt by using absolutely fresh fuel in the float bowl. This has solved the problem more times than not.

Messages In This Thread
Austin Big Seven starting problem - by Thowdfella - 26-03-2018, 07:57 AM
RE: Austin Big Seven starting problem - by Colin - 27-03-2018, 04:17 AM
RE: Austin Big Seven starting problem - by Nick Salmon - 27-03-2018, 05:03 PM
RE: Austin Big Seven starting problem - by NickB - 31-03-2018, 08:27 AM