The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touring the North West Coast of Scotland in two Austin Sevens, as a family
Yes what an expedition andI take my hat off to you and your wife and family. Had it been the two of us (myself and my wife). We would have to have done it in pre booked hotels as we are to soft for camping. My dear wife would have never stopped complaining about the weather. As to the breakdowns although I would have taken that in my stride knowing I had the safety net of RH insurance the good lady would have considered them major disasters.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi Ruairidh and Family.
An excellent account of your holiday. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your exploits!
I had a similar king lead problem but found it and repaired using the same electronic distributer.
Had to change the distributer cap as the original ones centre carbon pin was wearing away and leaving carbon all over the rotor arm.
Josie uses D21 plugs and you can get copper washers to seat the plugs to the head.
In the end I mostly slept in Josie     as otherwise a wet tent would have to be dealt with!
It was great to meet up with you - it always is!
What a truly fantastic trip and a great account of your adventures!

I read from start to finish in one go!

Look forward to meeting you soon.

Best,

Tom
We had a great deal of fun, Tom.

Yes, I look forward to meeting you soon, too.

Ruairidh
ll it's not over, until it's over - the story that is!

Yesterday I retrieved the spare (rebuilt) back axle so that I could swap it over onto the car today. It was very complete, more so than I had remembered, hubs, brake shoes, linings, cams etc. etc. Oven ready, no less!

After lunch I started to remove the wheels and noticed that the driver's side wheel had some free-play. I began to wonder if actually, the half shaft had gone. I soon had my answer...

I then drained the oil, no flecks of metal...

I then removed the differential, both pinion and crown wheel looked good...

The half shaft was the only issue and after replacing it I took Chummy for a drive, still noisy on overrun but, still driving.

As a treat I exhumed the Highland Coupe and reminded myself what a truly fun beast that is.

The spare axle was then wrapped back up and returned to the shed.
Well that's a relief, I guess...
Less work, the last time I broke one was in 1996, on the way to Dingle, in the Ulster. Andrew Goodfellow and I changed it at the side of the road and continued on our way.

I have a photo, somewhere...
(15-08-2023, 07:15 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Less work, the last time I broke one was in 1996, on the way to Dingle, in the Ulster.  Andrew Goodfellow and I changed it at the side of the road and continued on our way.

I have a photo, somewhere...

A few weeks ago the daughter of a local VSCC member had the back axle of the family's Chummy fail in the South of England. Without hesitation, he put a spare axle into the back of his car, drove south and changed it at the side of the road.
We just changed the halfshaft out, Tony. In the photo the differential is spread all over the pavement.

BTW - I have been trying to call you, without success. Check your WhatsApp…