The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RP De Luxe - Spare Wheel Cover
Frank, when eventually I get around to getting a cover made I am thinking of using one of the Austin winged badges that are fitted to the earlier radiator shells - they are available from new Austin Seven parts suppliers. 
I think I will be looking to have the elasticated part of the cover to come somewhere between Robert Foreman’s and the one you have had made.
Hello again,
after the trimmer had produced the spare wheel cover, I concentrated on the logo and the different ways of adding it to the cover. I thought about printing, stitching, using a sticker or adding the metal badge that was attached to the radiators once.
Printing turned out to be expensive and risky (due to the rough surface of the vinyl... No! said the owner of the printing shop...), stitching was actually possible but the shop owner was worried about the various details of the logo being lost due to necessary simplifications involved in the stitching proces), stickers... well... quite cheap but in some cases also cheap looking. After a few days one of the shops called back and told me that he liked the "problem" involved in adding a logo to the cover and he had tried an inverted print (printig the black parts onto white adhesive film instead of printing the white logo) and used a cutter to cut out the the logo. The result was fascinating. The adhesive material follows the rough surface and really looks as if the logo has been printed onto the vinyl in white. Superb.
I put the cover on the spare wheel and presented it to the public.... 

Regards
Frank
What an excellent result, well worth all the effort you have put into the project, the car looks wonderful and the cover really enhances it.
I have left a wheel with my local trimmer so that he can make a over for me and he is also binding the carpets for me but he has plenty of work so I am in the queue!
Your solution to the Logo problem seems to have been most successful, do you think your printer would be prepared to produce additional ones - if so perhaps you could give an idea of what the cost would be.
Many thanks Ken.
Thanks Ken,
I will ask him tomorrow. Mine was the first one he produced and for which he had to prepare the files for printing and cutting. I will tell him that after I had already paid for the preparations, further items have to be cheaper. I paid 15 Euro for mine but I will hope that additional prints will be cheaper.
Will tell you more tomorrow.
Kind regards
Frank
@KenKimber
Talked to the producer of the sticker. Still interested? Send me a PM
Hi Frank, collected the spare wheel cover for my 1929 Fabric Saloon this morning.
Very pleased, different to yours as I have solid centre wheels and I opted to match the piping to the colour of the fabric on the body.
I will PM you regarding the logo.
Ken.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not the deluxe model but a cover none the less...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195441414742?...name=11021
I have recently been working through a collection of period photos I have acquired for the Archive (more on which soon). I came across this image whilst scanning and thought it a useful addition to this thread. Nothing is known about the image (sadly, no notes on the reverse as to date or other details) but clearly a newish looking car. The Spare wheel cover was what caught my eye..

I believe the building is The National Museum, Cathays Park, Cardiff. The Seven is KG Cardiff registered in very late 1933. The first KG registration issued in January 1934 was KG 3376.
(09-05-2023, 09:02 AM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: I believe the building is The National Museum, Cathays Park, Cardiff. The Seven is KG Cardiff registered in very late 1933.

Good spot Jeff - I believe you are right. Cracking photo!

It doesn't quite have the air of a professional photo - given the gleaming condition of the car I would guess someone had just bought it. Could well be 1930's but certainly (well, probably) pre-dates the requirement for twin tail lights (mid 50's I think).