The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scruffy specials - where have they all gone?
My continuing hope is to find a bodyless rolling chassis with engine and gearbox. I’ve been lucky enough to build two specials without qualms about spoiling a restorable saloon. I think too many have been lost to the Ulster department but a lot of these were done in the days of a dead Austin in every other street…
This is my scruffy special, built at minimal cost but immensely practical and comfortable.    
nice work malcolm.

hi mike,

im not looking to put pictures of the car on the forum.

its the same as my site.

some things i put on, some i dont.

mainly because people use it as a price referance point. to try and get things cheaper.

i guess thats the austin way.

by sending the car to auction, interested parties can see exactly whats there. value it and bid accordingly.

rather than knowing its a car being sold by a trader, wondering if it a good or bad trader. and valueing for less just in case. then going and buying some piece of cr ap for far more money.

thanks tony

i have a blown engine coming in a friend wants me to sell for him, he wants less than the others went for on the forum. so ill probably offer that on here.

i doubt people are being offered newly built blown austin 7 engines every day. so if poeple want one, they are unlikely to hunt round and find another for sale.

thanks tony.
(29-01-2022, 01:19 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Is the JAP engined Seven seen on the Exeter a new arrival or a famous old machine?

I think it's possibly both Steve.
You are probably referring to Hughie Walker's VAT 69 which perfomed well but has an ABC flat twin, not Tottenham's finest. This incarnation is relatively recent but I'm pretty certain it's the same car that back in the 60's was driven to somewhere stupidly far away (Australia?) by Graham Rankin.

C
(30-01-2022, 12:15 AM)Charles P Wrote: ... Hughie Walker's VAT 69 which perfomed well but has an ABC flat twin, not Tottenham's finest. This incarnation is relatively recent but I'm pretty certain it's the same car that back in the 60's was driven to somewhere stupidly far away (Australia?) by Graham Rankin.

C

It is the remains of the same car, and yes, it was Australia.
I think the car changed hands for a bottle of VAT 69 once ,hence the name?.[but i may be wrong]
Andy
A case of VAT 69 - it was a bet, that they would not make it, I believe.

David Cochrane alerted me to the story and it was published, with permission, in the A7CA Magazines I helped put together. It is a great story.
Another explanation could be V.A.T. 69 = Vintage Australian Transport 1969 !
I have just dug out the photocopy you sent me in 2003/4 David and will re-read it to find out the truth…

Smile

Actually, it appears to have come direct from Graham, I am sure you were the connection however…