The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No start!
Great, got the old girl running today, squirt some fuel straight into the carburettor with an oil can and then she fired up, kept it running for a bit on the fuel being squirted into the carburettor and then she seemed happy to run on the stuff from the tank, no amount of adjusting timing will get her to accelerate cleanly she's struggling to get much past 20mph, don't think the old stale petrol helps... I'll drain the tank and treat her to a few gallons of shells finest.haha

Still doesn't explain why it'd run them die...
do you have a fuel filter? what state is it in?
Fuel tank breather hole?
No fuel filter and my God is the engine low on power, no way is it just worn as there is no way the engine could be driven like this, she really won't get past 20mph with my foot to the floor in third and fourth is non existent, so guess the issue isn't fully resolved, such is life haha
(26-05-2021, 11:48 AM)Eddamoo Wrote: If the exhaust is blocked, it should be pretty apparent on the restart as the car should struggle to even crank with the increased back pressure, shouldn't it?  10 seconds is a lot of gas volume so id be doubtful it would take that long for the engine to cut out.  Should be easy to see with a lack of visible vapour and exhaust pressure on startup?

Ed, not Austin seven but I have attended maybe a dozen cars with blocked exhausts. They crank normally. They start normally. Usually they will tick over all day, not cut out. There is nothing unusual to see at the exhaust pipe. The engine will speed up to a fast tickover but little more. Just won't rev much. If you floor the accelerator and hold it there, the exhaust has a distinctive whooshing/hissing sound.
If you have a consistent and bright spark, a good measured delivery of fuel, verified even compression on all four cylinders but it will run but not past a certain speed, have you considered that the difficulty in cranking it with the handle might be due to a fracture in the crankshaft? Is there an "unusual" noise when running?
I'm probably talking out of my fundament here but if your reported symptoms are accurate and you've tried all the various suggestions we all seem to be at a loss... the engine seems to be fighting itself. Is it easy to turn over on the handle without the plugs in?
I'm still thinking distributor personally, having experienced random erratic running with a very tired one, the replacement transformed the engine. I would never trust a condenser or points set replacement if it didn't come out of a sealed packet.
The one thing that doesn't sound like it has been investigated is the exhaust.

There must be something in that very early report that:
'bloody hard to turn over really for a seven engine.'

Presumably this could be ruled out by disconnecting the exhaust and just seeing what it runs like (other than noisily)
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Failure to rev under load and severe lack of power normally points to weak ignition for some reason e.g. failing coil or condenser BUT that is normally accompanied by jerky running and misfiring, none of which have been reported.

If you have a vacuum wiper era car you could borrow and connect vacuum gauge to the take-off on the inlet manifiold, and the reading pattern will tell you if the exhaust is blocked.

Alternatively, take off the downpipe. It will be mighty noisy but should have minimal back pressure......
FIXED!! She was running on TWO cylinders under load, the plugs produced a nice spark when just sat on the cylinder head but under load they just died, fixed with two pink lodge plugs that were sat in the tool box under the bonnet. A new set of plugs is in order.
How oily were the plugs? If the car is fitted with the late 37 head there can be a tendency for the plugs to oil up if there is any appreciable wear in the engine. Try a set of B5HS plugs which should cure the oiling problem (but not the engine wear!)