The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
I often performed there with other regulars from Harrogate Folk Club when we were engaged to entertain the "lads" sometime around 1968/9/70. I'm not sure if they actively liked the shows but it must have been a change from the usual regime on a Saturday night.
It was a Borstal then but became a Young Offenders Institution in the seventies IIRC.
I've never been convinced that locking people up for crimes which mostly are the result of poverty of one form or another.
And another one has popped into what passes for my brain...
When did animals and plants start "going extinct" instead of what was "becoming extinct" ? Is this just a change of direction?
"How are you?"

"I'm good ".

What happened to "I'm well". ?
My great-grandson uses 'good' when he means ''well' or 'ok', to which I often reply "Well, that's entirely a matter of opinion!"
When did the word amateur start being pronounced "amacher" or is just in Australia?
That’s one of the pronunciations we might have heard from Ashes test match commentators, before it became preferable to listen to the genny set, the washing machine or use an angle grinder for many hours.
"Lessons will be learned"  Rolleyes

Having said that, there are journalists who I believe deliberately use the words "vintage car" for  vehicles that are  just old.  They know that it has been accepted for many, many years that the term "vintage" refers to pre 1931 cars and yet they continue to mislead the public. 

It is a lesson that they need to learn... but they probably just like to wind up us old pedants !
Wind up us old pedants ect if you don't mind!
And another thing....
One used to evince things, now we seem to evidence them.
Ray, there may be journalists asked to write a piece about vintage cars. To find out what they might be they look in a pub car park filled with various old machines whose gleaming new badges say Vintage Sports Car. Our worthy journalist notes the marques and models, and files a piece  about TR2s, Swallow Dorettis and a Connaught. His editor gets back to him to say, all these are post 1945, are you correct? Get a car built before 1939.  Jonny Journalist ventures out again, and is happy to see many muddy cars getting ready for a trial. Aha, he thinks, a J2 MG, that must be vintage. Sadly the owner tells him that although the 1172 Ford engine was installed in 1949 for many decades of competition, it  is not eligible as vintage. He decides to ask a couple of Austin Seven owners, two competitors in specials and two spectators in Rubies. It’s a mystery to us, mate they reply, we are PWA7C members. Anyway, one of our bouncers has not turned up, why not spend a day getting cold and wet, then you can write a report of the event. Oh lucky scribe, he ended up hours later muddy and bruised and very happy indeed. End of story.