The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RL, RM & RN petrol tanks
(10-07-2022, 09:39 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I'm not sure about leather, a friend had a nasty experience when a wash leather was stuffed in fuel tank of his 1961 bus, it disintegrated causing mayhem in the fuel system.
Nothing unusual in that Tony, I regularly come to rest on mini roundabouts with the surprised driver of a modern able to count all the dead insects in my radiator.

Must admit dave,

When it happens, it makes me wonder if it's the size of the car they ignore? Or just the fact that it's old.

I could always sell all the sevens at morton, and buy a tank. Theres should only be one loser in that battle.

Tony.
They see an old car and think slow car and are very surprised when we both come to rest.
You can buy sheets of neoprene which is fuel resistant, not sure about methanol but it copes with almost all solvents. I fit leather washers to the caps on the wing tanks and have a leather washer on the BSA scuttle mounted tank. Seems to work but I certainly wouldn’t use chamois as it is a much more open-grained type of skin (which is why it is used to soak up water…)
(10-07-2022, 06:15 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: They see an old car and think slow car and are very surprised when we both come to rest.

i think you are spot on dave.

must admit, its the closest ive come so far. her bumper was between the passenger side wheels. maybe missing me by an inch. trying to push me into the outside lane. and she didnt even see anything was done wrong.

with no safty features in a seven, it does make me wonder if its worth it.

tony
(09-07-2022, 06:55 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: ive been tinkering with the superports today.

... but back to a simular thing as yourself. on a tightish turn i can feel movement in the wheel as the bolt that pinches the wheel moves from one side of the cutout to the other.

if i temp fate and tighten it before morton, sods law says it will break. so ill risk it until after the event.

On my Chummy I fitted carefully shaped stainless steel shim in the base of the groove then wound the bolt in so that it was nice & tight. It's been OK for the past 40 years or so.

David
Smoking is fine chaps, unless the tank is almost empty! No neoprene then. 

Now you know why my Rist horns reside in a cupboard and are replaced by twin trumpet air horns.
<Smoking is fine chaps, unless the tank is almost empty! No neoprene then. >
"unleaded doesn't burn"  - Or so a puzzled special needs pupil ( Angel ) told me.............After he'd burnt his dad's shed down Confused Huh .

Nitrile rubber is fuel proof.I use it for seals, especially when it's mixed with cork granules, and available in various thicknesses.
Quite right Bob, nitrile is indeed fuel proof. Not in the photograph though because it wasn't available commercially until 1934/5, hence my quote.
Except the photo could well date from 1934 or later; the BMW doesn't look very new, and the car in the background I would date as circa 1933-34 and again may not be new.