The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Internal Dynamo Wiring
Thanks Terry. I'd read it through earlier in the week but it doesn't answer my question. It also uses some 'big electrical words' that I don't understand!!

However, after messing about with the thing for nearly a week and a half, I think I've cracked it. The diagram on the Speedex web site that I referred to above explains it exactly. In the English/Lucas system, the field is connected to earth. In the Continental system, the field is connected to D on the dynamo. To change from one system to the other takes no more than moving the field lead. I've spent the day swapping components over from a working car to a non-working car and I've worked out that the initial problem was caused by a failing armature in the dynamo. I did have a second, spare, 12v 2 brush dynamo that had never been used but substituting that caused the electronic gubbings to throw a fit when I tried it earlier in the week. It's only today that I've realised that the cause of that was that the 'new' dynamo had been wired for positive earth rather than negative. Easy when you know. If you set it up on the bench as a motor, it spins in the wrong direction!! I've now got a working electronic system again and also now know how to change to a mechanical regulator if I wish.

Steve

Messages In This Thread
Internal Dynamo Wiring - by Steve Jones - 22-03-2018, 07:28 PM
RE: Internal Dynamo Wiring - by Robert Leigh - 23-03-2018, 10:58 AM
RE: Internal Dynamo Wiring - by Charles P - 23-03-2018, 11:25 AM
RE: Internal Dynamo Wiring - by Steve Jones - 23-03-2018, 12:03 PM
RE: Internal Dynamo Wiring - by Terrytuned - 23-03-2018, 01:12 PM
RE: Internal Dynamo Wiring - by Steve Jones - 23-03-2018, 05:51 PM