The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...to get good brakes?
What is the best way to set up the brakes on this car?

It is an Ulster rep built on one of the very latest (it seems) SWB Chassis with coupled brakes. It has a s/girling front axle, with the adjuster at each hub, with new Green Gripper linings on 11/4” shoes, new cams and std levers. The axle has new kingpins etc and radius arms are located with a new pivot ball at the crossmember. The ruby drums have been checked, refaced and are ‘true’. The rear axle is std long-nose banjo with new linings same as the front, new cams and std levers and pressed steel drums that have been fully checked and are ‘true’.

The single front brake cable has a suitably-spec’d turnbuckle in it for fine adjustment and each rear cable has a turnbuckle as well.

The car will be going on an extended trip shortly with two 15st men in it!

I have the car on a garage ramp, can support it on the axles with wheels free to rotate and all adjusters available.  I can use the Handbrake to simulate the footbrake.

So, the question is, what is the best process to get the best braking?  Do I need to put bags of coal in the cockpit to get a representative weight before adjusting?  Do I bring up the front brakes first and then bring in the backs to suit?  Or vice-versa?

On a separate note, I am keen to hear how readers top-up the back axle and how full?

Thanks 

Hugh

Messages In This Thread
...to get good brakes? - by Upperfield - 03-04-2024, 06:28 PM
RE: ...to get good brakes? - by Steve Jones - 03-04-2024, 07:24 PM
RE: ...to get good brakes? - by Ivor Hawkins - 04-04-2024, 11:05 AM
RE: ...to get good brakes? - by Robert Leigh - 04-04-2024, 11:18 AM
RE: ...to get good brakes? - by Upperfield - 04-04-2024, 01:03 PM
RE: ...to get good brakes? - by Upperfield - 04-04-2024, 06:39 PM
RE: ...to get good brakes? - by Robert Leigh - 04-04-2024, 09:32 PM