The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold starting
On my RN I've always had cold starting using the starter motor a bit hit and miss.
Whilst attending the recent Scottish Rally it absolutely refused to cooperate after several attempts one morning despite it turning over freely.

As it is used to being in a nice warm garage most of the time I assumed it was protesting at being outside all night!

In sheer frustration I gave the starting handle a swing and it burst immediately into life and ran like a little gold watch.

Using my declining powers of deduction I got to wondering what the voltage at the coil might be whilst using the starter and after the installation of a volt meter I found that the voltage dropped to about 4 volts whilst cranking on the starter when it was cold resulting in a very weak spark. When the engine is warm the voltage drop is much less and it fires up ok.
Having taken so long (nearly three years) to fathom out what the problem was I now start it from cold using the handle and after tickling the carb it bursts immediately into life every time.

As usual the bl...y obvious doesn't always come to mind and I'm sure the diehards will all be telling me that it's the norm for 6 volt sevens.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !

Messages In This Thread
Cold starting - by Barry Townsend - 17-05-2022, 10:22 AM
RE: Cold starting - by Ruairidh Dunford - 17-05-2022, 10:51 AM
RE: Cold starting - by Rick F - 17-05-2022, 12:09 PM
RE: Cold starting - by AustinWood - 17-05-2022, 04:47 PM
RE: Cold starting - by John Cornforth - 17-05-2022, 07:59 PM
RE: Cold starting - by Dave Mann - 17-05-2022, 08:24 PM
RE: Cold starting - by Barry Townsend - 13-06-2022, 07:46 AM