The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with high fuel prices
(19-04-2022, 11:56 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Water injection systems were fashionable in the 1950s. Many cars ran cr very high for the available fuel and with these could be helpful (several prototype Jowetts were imported to NZ with engines somewaht as the Le Mans cars and at least one was run with injection, until it leaked when stationary...) With then so many ex wartime aero mechanics the notion was not new although in aircraft the mix included alcohol. The water absorbs energy but with very high cr other effects compensate.

(The many skilled ex airforce mechanics enabled English cars to thrive.....)

I had a Fiat UNO Turbo that was modified with boost doubled (132 bhp+) and water injection to cool the charge. It appeared to work just fine - the tuning shop explained that with water added, maximum boost and full power could be maintained without anything melting  - rather like the "combat" setting on some WW2 fighters I suppose. Normally, it ran at half the extra boost and even at that setting - it was a very small, light car - the performance was pretty formidable (especially as it was fitted with a UNO 55 tailgate). Perhaps I should have added a bottle of alcohol to the water tank...

Messages In This Thread
Dealing with high fuel prices - by Tony Griffiths - 18-04-2022, 01:18 AM
RE: Dealing with high fuel prices - by Bob Culver - 18-04-2022, 03:02 AM
RE: Dealing with high fuel prices - by Bob Culver - 19-04-2022, 11:56 PM
RE: Dealing with high fuel prices - by Tony Griffiths - 20-04-2022, 11:25 AM