The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter motor on a special
My special has become difficult to start. It spins over fast for about 5 seconds then winds down as if the battery was flat. If it starts it runs no problem. It has a Lucas M55A starter on the engine side of the 33 engine. Reading an earlier thread pointed to worn starter brushes and contacts. I have taken the starter off to check. The contacts were in need of a clean up and the brushes are worn. When you spin it over by hand you can see they don't make good contact. When I removed one its marked DELCO REM and has a high copper content. I have looked at the new ones on offer they don't look much longer than my worn ones which have 1/4- 5/16 below the screw hole. (It might just be the photo) I have always run the car on 12V for 40 years. So don't think that can be the problem now. I will get new brushes and fit them to replace the originals. The Battery worked perfectly when I fitted it to my 2CV without recharging it. Any other thoughts? Pete

Messages In This Thread
Starter motor on a special - by Peter Sweeney - 06-04-2022, 04:42 PM
RE: Starter motor on a special - by Reckless Rat - 06-04-2022, 05:20 PM
RE: Starter motor on a special - by Graham Barker - 06-04-2022, 07:46 PM
RE: Starter motor on a special - by Peter Sweeney - 07-04-2022, 10:21 AM