The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-babbiting big end bearings
Hello Gents

As the title says I'm in this predicament, short version - 1930 engine found on a farm running a water pump, now in our '30 single seater special, (built circa 1949, abandoned in the mid '50's, found in the 80's & rebuilt by Dad over 10 years ago), matching block, rods and crank - we have no reason to believe that they are not the original Longbridge babbited big ends. 1 & 5/16ths crank, 40 thou oversize pistons, Alta high compression head and twin SU's with banana branch exhaust.

It's run the Simola Hillclimb, (Knysna South Africa) three times, went very well, but the last one was in the hands of my lovely wife who obeyed my request to not exceed 5000 rpm by holding it at 6000 all the way up the hill in 3rd gear when the red mist descended. Angel Heart

Needless to say the big ends are now a bit tired & I will need to re-white metal them before the next Hillclimb on the 4th of April - we have a block of Hoyts white metal and a fairly well equipped workshop & we're game to tackle almost anything.

What I'm really looking for is a bit of guidance & hopefully a few pictures of the jigs and fixtures etc that you use to hold the rods, the jig to form the hole in the centre and then guidance on ladles & pouring the metal - I've read all the usual A7 books on the subject, done the You-Tube thing, but I'd appreciate a few pointers from the learned masters here. We have a lathe and the usual MIG, Arc & gas welders & access to a milling machine so I can fabricate jigs etc.

My local engineering shop will bore the newly metalled rods out to suit the crank, so that's no issue. The crank itself is basically unmarked, a few faint lines, but after 88 years I expected far worse & it will easily polish out - have already had it crack tested & amazingly enough it's still perfect, as are the rods. The car won't be campaigned 10/10ths - she's just for fun, the new weapon for Simola will be the new supercharged 7 I'm building, but that's a story for another thread

Beloved also boiled it on the line while waiting (someone spun and we waited too long), I missed the gauge climbing while checking on something and I had to fill a gallon of water in a hurry - makes for an impressive photo anyway. Fortunately I caught it before any damage and the rings and bores are 100%

Cheers
Greig

Port Elizabeth
Sunny South Africa

'26 Chummy
'28 Top Hat Type R
'33 Type "65"
'30 Single seater special
'30 Supercharged single seater special
Other lesser makes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Beginning of breaking up.JPG (Size: 82.39 KB / Downloads: 946)
.jpg   Equally stuffed.JPG (Size: 87.7 KB / Downloads: 941)
.jpg   Next in line to be stuffed.JPG (Size: 78.27 KB / Downloads: 939)
.jpg   Sort of stuffed.JPG (Size: 84.84 KB / Downloads: 938)

Messages In This Thread
Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Greig Smith - 22-01-2018, 10:23 PM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Colin Reed - 22-01-2018, 11:42 PM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Bob Culver - 23-01-2018, 09:14 AM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Colin Reed - 23-01-2018, 10:11 PM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Charles P - 23-01-2018, 11:11 PM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Colin Reed - 23-01-2018, 11:49 PM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Colin Reed - 25-01-2018, 05:46 AM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Colin Reed - 25-01-2018, 08:57 AM
RE: Re-babbiting big end bearings - by Tod - 26-01-2018, 01:34 PM