The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inner steering column removal hourglass box
How on earth can one get the upper bearing race out of the box.  It does not protrude into the box beyond the inner wall so no chance of a rod down the column to knock it out and it sits tight against the shoulder of the bottom of the column so a puller will not grab it.

New snag found;-  the worm moves easily for about 3/4 inches along its spline.....i.e. when all bolted up together the inner column, with splines at bottom in the worm, can lift up and down 3/4 inches when you pull the steering wheel up!!!

To overcome this, I hope,  I have removed the worm, cleaned the splines in worm and column and put Bearing Locktite on the splines before pulling worm back onto column with a long threaded rod.

This may account for mysterious endplay if someone has endplay but has otherwise set up the shims on the "clamping cover 1A 6117".

Dennis

Messages In This Thread
RE: inner steering column removal hourglass box - by Dennis Nicholas - 06-09-2021, 12:45 PM