The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AEW Bonnet handles - sealant
Hi, firstly I would like to thank everyone for their posts - the advise has been very helpful and it is interesting to see what is going on. The pictures are fantastic....thought it was time I had a go!

My AEW is a 1933 two seater and has 2 doors (near side door is original and must have been an optional extra). It originally had a centre sliding catch arrangement (as seen from the outside of the car) for the bonnet. It was supposed to catch on a bracket mounted midway at the side of the engine bay.

I had a lot of trouble with the mechanism engaging properly and it didn't secure the bonnet very well (hardly at all).
I have decided to use standard A7 bonnet handles (two each side) as shown at the bottom of this post.

.jpg   handle 1.jpg (Size: 127.35 KB / Downloads: 341)

Could anyone advise of a suitable sealant to use on the bonnet handles shown below? It will be applied between cellulose painted parts and the body and bonnet.

The front handle/catch arrangement (see below) has a plate under the bonnet mounted part - I think a removable (soft?) sealant here would be a good idea?
The plate is threaded and is used in part to secure the bonnet handle avoiding a hole too close to the edge of the bonnet and interfering with the radiator cowl.

The rear arrangement (see below) has a plate mounted on the body - again I think a removable (soft?) sealant here would be a good idea?

Thanks Peter
"Junior member" - 64 years young  :0)

Messages In This Thread
AEW Bonnet handles - sealant - by Peter Stanley - 23-08-2019, 06:58 PM