The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Vacuum Wiper - How to connect to inlet manifold, where to put the vacuum pipe
Frank,

I have taken a photo of the bulkhead on my car. There are a number of holes drilled into it that are redundant, but I think that the one you are referring to is by the corner of the copper tube that takes the wiring to the nearside front headlamp, just to the right of the clip holding it down.

Sorry the photo is a bit scruffy. My garage is a bit like the 'Black Hole of Calcutta' at this time of night!

Frank.

Having reviewed all the posts on this thread, it occurs to me that your car, being, as you say, first registered in July or August 1934, must be one of the very last RP saloons to have been built. The first of the Ruby's came off the production line in July 1934.

If your car has no hole in the top of the manifold (see the photos that Geof101 and I posted) and there is no hole in the bulkhead to take the vacuum hose, then it appears likely that you car was fitted with an electric wiper motor from the factory, as i believe some of the very last cars were. (See Dave Mann's comments) The fact that the windscreen frame still has the long cutout for the vacuum wiper motor may simply be that the factory didn't bother to change the windscreen frame to accommodate the change of motor, especially as they were just about to introduce a new model car. There is also the possibility that the windscreen frame might have been changed during the car's life. In the days when there were plenty in the scrapyard, it would have been quite simple in the event of a broken windscreen, to replace the whole screen and frame from another car.

The moral of this post is: Be careful! Your car might very well be original as it is.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vacuum Wiper - How to connect to inlet manifold, where to put the vacuum pipe - by David Stepney - 18-08-2019, 10:26 PM