The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice please- 16 year old and an A7 bitsa
I’m after a bit of advice please.

My 16 year old grandson is starting to take a much greater interest in old cars (he’s currently in the process of applying for a heritage engineering apprenticeship) and would like to gather up the parts to build an Austin Seven.

Being 16 means not having much money, so the thought was to collect parts over a number of years gradually restoring them along the way, then building a replica body. (Of course, doing things this way probably doesn’t save much money, it’s just that the costs can be spread over a number of years)

That’s the thought, and how I did my A7 30 years ago (although mine was just a special) but I believe the situation has changed have with the DVLA. I think you can still get an age related number as a “made up” car, but the body could be an issue if it’s new? - or has sense now prevailed as long as the body is a replica of a recognised model?

Obviously the ideal would be to get a complete project with number etc. but that’s going to be out of the question on cost grounds. 

Current thinking is not another Ulster! - I have always been interested in the Gordon England construction methods, so would love to help him with a replica of one of these- probably a Cup if enough build information can be found.

Any thoughts and comments on a bonkers idea/ project would be most welcome.

Thanks 
Colin

Messages In This Thread
Advice please- 16 year old and an A7 bitsa - by Colin Swinbourne - 10-05-2019, 09:08 PM