The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cars off the road long term and SORN.
Just a word of warning for those of you with vehicles off the road long term, but have registration documents in your name.

I recently had cause to put a vehicle, that has been off the road since the late 1980's in my name. Specifically changing keeper on the V5.

Today I recieved a snotty letter in the post requiring me to 'Immediatley' tax or SORN the vehicle. And that I was at risk of a fine. 

Unfortunatley for the DVLA they got a snotty me on the end of the phone. Whilst discussing my problem, and without asking me the lady at the DVLA sorned my vehicle. This in my belief was an unlawful act, as only the registered keeper can declare SORN.

At that point she got both barrells. The legal situation is that vehicles that were not taxed at the point of the law requiring a SORN being enacted, and that have not been taxed since that date do not need to be SORN ed. They also do not need to be taxed assuming that they are still off the road.

I quite calmly but sternly asked her to check with her superiors, and after a 15 minuite wait she returned and confirmed my assertions. 

I then insisted she remove the SORN from the vehicle. 

I shall be watching the DVLA vehicle check website with interest over the next fortnight to ensure that my instructions have been carried out.

Messages In This Thread
Cars off the road long term and SORN. - by Hedd_Jones - 14-03-2019, 07:05 PM