The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Radiator for 1931 Ulster Replica - Advice Please
I promised my car a new radiator some day. However the spare (scrap) rad I had in mind to re-core turns out to be the wrong type.

The one in the car has a 1 1/2" screw-on cap. (Right or wrong, I don't want to change this set-up).

The spare radiator top tank I have looks the same size and shape, but the filler neck is a die-casting affixed partly to the front of the tank an inch further forward and has a bayonet cap fixing.

According to Chris Gould's book it's a 1929-30 rad I need, or a genuine Ulster / Nippy. Given the cost of a new core my budget is already creaking.

I could of course re-core my existing rad, but then the car will be off the road again for weeks, also it's still quite serviceable as a spare.

Does anyone have a simple solution to repositioning the filler neck which does not take a lot of time or money? Logically it seems possible to remove the neck from my spare tank, fill up the resulting hole and solder on a new neck in the right place, but I would need to source a suitable new filler neck. Or if anyone has the right top tank and is willing to part with it for a tenner or two...

Parting question - was the original Ulster radiator a honeycomb type? or 'A' type film pattern (with vertical strips)? From my survey of period pictures I'm thinking honeycomb but I wonder if anyone can confirm.

Messages In This Thread
Radiator for 1931 Ulster Replica - Advice Please - by Chris KC - 17-08-2018, 02:51 PM