The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back to it and straightening a bent chassis
Hello Friends,

I've largely been off the forum for a few years, for various reasons.  I'm now getting back on to a project i started nearly ten years ago and I'm afraid I'm going to be asking questions again! (I know how much you all like answering them really Smile  )

I have a 1932 LWB chassis, for which I've been gathering c. 1932 components to suit.  When I left off my labours the last time I had got the vast majority of the bits to make a rolling chassis, many of which I had rebuilt/refurbished.  I'm tantalizingly close to the start of the "spanner work", to the extent that I've (perhaps ambitiously) cleared out half the garage and put the chassis onto axle stands!

At this point, one expects to find the things one hadn't expected, and so here's my first:  I've managed to bend one of the chassis rails!  When I got it, the top of the o/s chassis rail was corroded very thin, with even a few holes.  I cut this out and welded in some new steel.  As a rooky welder I didn't appreciate that the heat would distort the chassis.  On a flat surface, the o/s damper mounting now sits 1.5" off the ground...

I would welcome any advice as to how to sort that out.  I have in mind to use a large section timber fence post, some webbing straps and careful application of a 2 tonne jack.  Is that a sensible approach?  All suggestions and advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Geoffrey

Messages In This Thread
Getting back to it and straightening a bent chassis - by Urgent Austin - 13-05-2018, 07:19 PM