The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
6V Dynamator - first hand experiences...
(11-06-2018, 06:32 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 01:58 PM)jonblob33 Wrote: Having found 50% of my cam gear missing has anyone changed the timing gears with the engine in situ?

Hi Kevin,

I did my timing gears with the engine in the car, although I had the sump and gauze off, the head off and the valves and radiator out, so could remove and replace the camshaft without difficulty (my camshaft bush locating bolt is a hex head rather than the original square headed job that can’t turn without lifting the block).

Assuming you don’t intend removing the camshaft you may be lucky after fitting the replacement gear and end up with the correct endfloat (.002”), but if not you’ll probably need to get the camshaft out to adjust the bush.

Hi, Decided to take the engine out to be safe as it had a full rebuild 500 miles ago. The gear problem is annoying, but the unit seems fine electrically. Would have been better supplied with a full set of 4 gears. I’ve changed the dist drive gear also as that had a poor tooth form. It looked like it had been rolled rather than cut. Difficult to cut new gears to mesh correctly when you don’t have an unworn one to work from. 
Hey ho The ups and downs of old vehicles. 
Regards. Kevin. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 6V Dynamator - first hand experiences... - by jonblob33 - 12-06-2018, 07:57 AM