The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1938 Austin 7 History and restoration
Reckless, I can support the tramline story from first-hand experience.

Years ago, I took the RP to France and while finding my way through the docks  at Le Havre I dropped a wheel into a grooved rail.  It probably wasn't truly stuck, but followed the rail for some time until we reached a set of points.  At that - er - point, the groove became much wider and deeper and the car lurched violently to the left.  As I hauled it back into a straight line, there was a distinct bang, but after a quick inspection we could find nothing wrong.

Shortly afterward, we started to cross the Seine by the Pont de Tancarville - the best part of a mile long and reminiscent of the older Severn Bridge.  We'd reached a point of no return when there was a loud "Ping!".  A hundred yards further on, there was another, then another.  By the time that we reached the far side, by now at crawling speed, the "Pings" were coming every few seconds and the handling was becoming interesting.  We pulled over at the first available lay-by and found 17 broken spokes in one wheel.

I have treated tramlines with respect ever since!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1938 Austin 7 History and restoration - by Martin Prior - 20-08-2017, 04:07 PM