The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932
It is a long time since I changed a broken half shaft....found a new one in a Garage in Farnborough opposite the RAE  up in their rafters. It cost about 20/6d as far as I recall in 1957 with it's original packing & price tag!! I bet it costs a bit more now.
Well I need to  do it again (different car, same problem). The o/s hub is distinctly loose & appears unconnected to anything!
I will have to make/borrow a half shaft/brakedrum tool, I have a stout 3/4BSW spanner, so I should be able to get it apart, but I cannot remember if the shaft bits will simply pull out of the diff, or do I have to split the diff?
I am not looking forward to seeing the state of the hub taper etc. I will know the half shaft length when I get it apart
I am not sure of the axle type (three I think), It has stamped on the diff "49541 and then what looks like a 9 above
the 1...the numberer ran out of space!) Any code-brakers with ideas?
The axle measures about 36" between backplates (Morris Minor ones for the hydraulic brakes )

Messages In This Thread
Half Shaft replacement AG tourer 1932 - by David.H - 20-04-2018, 09:34 PM