The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will not start
(17-04-2018, 03:34 PM)Boatbodz Wrote: Hi. I am a newcomer to Austin Sevens and proudly possess a 1932 Tickford Cabriolet.

Drove it out of the garage after winter hibernation (me and it) no Problem but when I came to drive it back in there was no light on the ignition switch and engine turned over but with no sign of starting.

Before I start stumbling around trying to figure out what is wrong it occurred to me that someone might know exactly what the problem is likely to be or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation.

Alan
First things first! You have lots of replies which may all be useful in the end. If the car does not start and the ignition light is not on the first thing to do is to try a wire direct from the battery to the sw terminal of the coil. You will likely get a small spark as you make the connection (so long as the points are closed in the distributor). If the car starts with this temporary connection you have proved that the problem lies in the ignition switch or the wiring associated with it.
Robert

(18-04-2018, 04:00 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Presumably can still buy very cheap small analogue multimeters. Although these can be easily damaged on the seldom used ohms or amps range, not completely reliant on batteries, not so confused by erratic contacts, spikes and spark radiation etc, and generally less confusing for amateur work on older autos. Too inaccurate for  setting voltage regulators  (and perhaps even for monitoring battery chargers) but we dont have regulators! 

Much can also be traced  with a small bulb on leads.

For Seven owners it is worth the effort to establish a full grasp of the ignition and charging circuits.

When messing about with the engine stopped, or possibly with a dud dynamo, it is important that the cutout is not brushed, bumped or prodded to close as it will lock and drain the battery and possibly cook the dyanamo. Can pull open or disconnect battery to release.

Igniton switches (like synchro hubs) should only be dismantled under a sheet in the middle of a large bare room with tight floorboards!

Messages In This Thread
Will not start - by Boatbodz - 17-04-2018, 03:34 PM
RE: Will not start - by DaveT - 17-04-2018, 03:51 PM
RE: Will not start - by Bill Dixon - 17-04-2018, 04:12 PM
RE: Will not start - by John Mason - 17-04-2018, 05:31 PM
RE: Will not start - by bob46320 - 17-04-2018, 06:33 PM
RE: Will not start - by Chris KC - 17-04-2018, 06:49 PM
RE: Will not start - by John Cornforth - 17-04-2018, 08:04 PM
RE: Will not start - by Bob Culver - 18-04-2018, 04:00 AM
RE: Will not start - by Robert Leigh - 18-04-2018, 11:04 AM