The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 dash colour and finish?
Ratcliffe's was used for many years for those scumbling narrowboats (inside and out) but a recent search on the internet shows that it's no longer available. 

On narrowboats the problem was it was linseed oil based and it often deteriorated without a varnish top layer applied above the scumble coat. This needed frequent renewal on external surfaces due to the weather and also faded in strong sunlight.  

Polyvine appears to be the replacement system although it looks like you mix the colourant with a scumble coat to make up the top coat. They have a walnut colour. It's an acrylic water-based system and local professional paint suppliers and some others stock it. 

I think I'm going to give it a go on Harvey since I have a suitable acrylic undercoat, all the combs and brushes and some experience of scumbling areas on the narrowboat. I could always revert to black gloss if I am not happy with the results.

I think I'll leave the dash black although I suppose originally it would have been maroon (the main body colour).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Austin 7 dash colour and finish? - by Steve Parkin - 11-01-2023, 12:12 AM